Chapter Forty Nine

Alex's POV

I stared at Tobin waiting for a response but she stared back at me. I was getting even more nervous when she looked away from me.

"God just say something." I say.

"Do you mean it?" Tobin asks me.

"I do. Every word."

"I'm trying, Alex. You know I never meant to hurt you. You know I never wanted this to happen and I could have done something I-"

"Tobin, stop. You've apologized countless of times already and right now I'm saying that I love you because I do. I do love you and I have since I first met you. And I want to be with you, Tobin, I want this to work. I've tried to move on without you but don't you get it? It's impossible because you're the one I need and you're the one I want. So say it back. Say you love me so I know I'm not wasting time."

"I love you." Tobin says the second I stopped talking. I took a step toward her.

"I can't live without you, Tobin. And I know that for a fact because I tried and I can't do it."

"You know I've always wanted to make you happy, Alex. That's all I've ever wanted. I wanted to be the person to make you happy. No one else but I always end up breaking you... I can't do that to you anymore. I can't hurt you like that."

"If you love me like you say you do then you wouldn't do that."

"But I'm scared, Alex." Tobin says and I can see the tears in her eyes. She hardly ever cried so I knew this was important to her.

"Don't be. Because I'm not leaving you. I'm going to fight for you, Tobin. Forget everything that happened between us. Forget about high school when I did those awful things to you. Forget it all. Because I need you, more than ever... and I don't want anything to hold us back." I say with tears rolling down my cheeks.

"So you're just going to let it go like nothing ever happened?" Tobin asks me. "Alex... don't you get it? I can't let it go none of this. It's engraved into my brain, everything from the past. You can't just tell me to forget about everything, that's now how it works."

"Then what do you want me to do? You asked for my forgiveness and that's what I've given you and I'm trying to make things right and you're just fighting me. Tobin... what do you want me to do?"

"I don't know, Alex. Okay? I don't know."

"Then what the hell am I doing? I told you the truth. I said what you wanted to hear. I'm telling you everything I've always wanted to tell you and you're rejecting me, Tobin."

"I can't forget, Alex! All I see is myself getting shoved into lockers by you. All I see is you ready to jump off a bridge because of me. All I see is myself being a vulnerable girl in a corner, to weak to stand on her own. All I can picture is you with blood dripping down your wrist because of me. How do you expect me to just forget things?"

"I know it's hard! It's hard for me to but I'm trying! I'm trying to make things right the only way I know how."

Then it went silent between the two of us. I wiped the tears with the back of my hand and looked at Tobin who stared down at her feet. The only thing that filled the silence was the sound of the waves crashing to shore.

"Lift up your sleeves." I say. Tobin looks at me with a concerned expression on her face. I walk over to her and roll up her sleeves revealing white faded scars from when she used to cut herself in high school.

"This is because of me. I saw you do this to yourself and I'm sorry. Okay? We both have a history, we both have something that is part of our history. And it's stuck with us."

"What do you want, Alex?"

"I want us to be together, Tobin. I'm tired of running away. I'm tired of trying to forget you because I know I can't."

"Then let's be together again." Tobin says as she looks me in the eyes.

I finally breathe a sigh of relief as I lean my forehead against hers. I look her in the eyes and see the small smile that formed on her face. I gently press my lips against hers and when I pull away I cupped her head into my hands.

A/N: peep story description ((:
"Remember I said I didn't love you? I lied."

"Me too."
***

Surprise!!!!

I also have a new story up!