Year Three 5/9; Reciprocity & Ensurient Amity

If I could make this go away, I would. If I could stand in your place, I wouldn't hesitate. But I'm left with only one choice, and that's to stand by your side through the end. I won't waver, I can promise you that. ~Patch; Becca Fitzpatrick

Kuroo's expression is flat as they approach the tavern and Koushi Sugawara wonders about the contact they are supposed to meet. He's never seen the cat so stiff-backed and visibly on edge.

But then... they've all been on edge.

The last few hours since the snake came for Natsu have passed like sap in winter, and everyone has been wrapped in the same circling thoughts after Kuroo'd lectured Hinata about their scaly opponents. The little girl was caught in the grasp of a bunch of these awful monsters; how were they going to get her out?

Hinata hadn't been able to stay still and had finally given up an hour in and begun a pacing loop around the village, his leveler shadowing him silently with his own wings pulled a little more taught with unease. Daichi had sat down with the larger cat and asked him everything he could possibly think of about snakes, determined to be as prepared as possible. Tanaka had settled at the table as well, his gaze fixed vacantly at a wall as he listened to Daichi and Kuroo, but his projected tranquility didn't fool the thrush. The bald crow's muscles running into his limbs were outlined in chiseled definition, betraying his tension, and Koushi'd known that the only reason he remained at that table instead of outside making village rounds with Feathers and Hinata was by sheer force of will.

The only one who'd seemed mostly unfazed was Kenma, so it was him that Koushi had gravitated toward to help keep himself more calm. When the thrush had asked him about it, the small cat had shrugged.

"This is how it always was back when Kuroo still actively hunted snakes. He was always gathering information and planning out the next move. This might not actually be the toughest rescue he's attempted." He'd murmured. Koushi had turned to stare at Kenma with surprise.

"Not the toughest? If this isn't, then what was?" The golden cat had glanced at him briefly.

"Mine. For this to be as ugly as that was, he'd have to lose the other eye."

"That's how he got that?" Kenma'd nodded.

"He was lucky, that was all. The snake had two blades; it was sheer chance that he got him with the one not tipped with venom or things would have been drastically worse. Kuroo's speaking from experience when he says not to bull rush these guys. He might be fine now, but it took him a few years to adjust."

Suga'd promptly jumped when a knife had embedded itself in the floorboard beside them, and the only reason he didn't leap defensively to his feet was because Kenma hadn't batted an eye. He'd looked straight up unimpressed, actually, and Koushi'd glanced around in surprise. Nothing else in the room seemed to have changed; Daichi'd still been speaking with Kuroo and Tanaka'd still been resolutely studying the wall.

"Eh?" He'd asked with confusion and Kenma had simply stared blandly at the black cat.

"He gets cranky when I bring up his poor decisions." The golden cat had said with a bored expression, and when Koushi'd looked back at the larger feline, sure enough, an ear had been fixedly swiveled in their direction. The black cat hadn't been joking when he'd said he heard everything. Koushi's face heats slightly at the memory of how the cat had pointed that out the other day.

When the sunlight had begun to angle and the restless younger level pair was just coming by on about their eighth lap around the little town, Kuroo had finally stood. Kageyama, Hinata, and Tanaka had been right there at his elbow in an instant, but the cat had huffed at them with amusement.