Chapter 6 - Robbed and Paid

I was home alone, helping Mrs. Hudson clean up the mess in 221B. I was still looking for a good job, and thankfully, I had enough saved up to last me the next two payments. Entertainment and shopping were out of the question though. I couldn't say I minded.

Mrs. Hudson had gone out for some shopping, leaving me to finish up. I heard the door slam open downstairs. I rolled my eyes, thinking Sherlock was upset. "Here we go." I muttered. Heavy footsteps bounded up the stairs. I paused and rushed up into John's room. Those weren't the steps of anyone I knew.

"Here. We can find something good here, trust me. Bugger's rich as hell and got to have something valuable lyin' around."

I searched frantically for John's gun, hoping he hadn't taken it with him. I found it in his drawer and stared at it in my hands. What was I supposed to do?! I'd never shot a gun before! Never even touched one! I couldn't shoot these men!

"Check upstairs."

I squeaked and rushed to hide on the other side of the bed. The door opened and someone stepped in. He rummaged around and started walking to my side of the bed. I stood and pointed the gun at him. "Stop where you are." My voice shook.

He stared at me and then laughed. "Safety's on." He shoved me down and grabbed the gun. "I got someone up here. Not any information but they'd pay for her pretty face, right?"

The other one ran upstairs, only to be cracked on the head. John shoved him aside and punched the first on square in the face. They both went down and John stood over them. He helped me up and stuffed his gun in his waistband. Ushering me from the room, he took me to my flat and sat me down.

"We'll handle it."

I heard him and Sherlock dragging them and then something crashed down on the bins outside. I heard John talking. "You're right. It's an easier way to dispose of them."

Sherlock chuckled and I heard him calling Lestrade. "Another break-in. Fell out the window. Something's really got to be done about that... Just once this time. I can make it twice, if you like... Then get over here."

I snapped out of my daze finally and got to pulling myself together. I washed my face, turned off the water and stepped out. The decision was coming together in my mind. This was a dangerous place to be, with Sherlock around. I'd love to stay, it seemed exciting. But if I was going to get stuck with a robber just because Sherlock had info lying around... I needed to know I wasn't going to get hurt. Dressed and much calmer, I headed upstairs. The moment I stepped in, Sherlock spoke.

"Hand me that dropper. Lestrade is on his way."

I sighed and handed it him. "We need to talk."

"You want to talk, you mean. I'm busy."

"I'll be moving out in a few weeks." I lied.

His head snapped up and he stared at me for a moment. I didn't speak, just watched his reaction. He seemed to scan my face for a moment before turning back to his work. "No, you're not. I need you, you're staying here. It was just as robber, nothing to panic over."

I sighed and pushed two fingers against his shoulder. Pushing him until he sat up, I tipped his chin up. "I love this already. I love the mystery and the work. I love being around you guys, it's fun in its own way. It's just..." I sighed and shrugged. "I've always wanted some adventure but I don't want to get hurt."

"This had nothing to do with my work. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"I know, but things like that happen to you guys. I just want to be sure that I'll be safe. I don't want to get shot at all the time or get hurt or mugged or worse. I know I'll get some injuries and such but...you know."