Chapter 4 - D.I.D.

I went up early in the morning and made John his usual breakfast. Sherlock was either aggravated by my presence or just decided it would be fun to stare me down while I made the tea. Eventually, I poured him some and set it on the table in front of him. He came out of his unnaturally still posture and took the cup without a thank you. By the look he gave me, the thank you was implied. I rolled my eyes and went up the stairs to wake John.

He rolled over and tried to ignore me but I just ripped the covers off him and took his pillow. "You'll be late." He grumbled but finally got up. Well, the hardest part was over with. Once he was up, I didn't have to worry about him. I went back down to find Sherlock hunched over his microscope. John turned the telly on when he came down and checked out the news while he ate.

Apparently it was unusual for them to get credit on the cases they work. The reporter on screen was standing in front of our flat and talking about Sherlock's help on the case last night. Said detective's head shot up and he groaned.

"John, get me my hat. I have to get out before they all get here."

I looked around and smirked to find John was already gone. I put Sherlock's hat on his head and smiled at him. "You like it don't you?"

"Like what?"

"The hat. You wear it, but you don't want to admit you like it."

He didn't reply, only stood to get his coat. I started cleaning up the dishes when he cleared his throat. I turned. "What?"

"Come along."

"Why? Where are you going?"

"To Bart's. Now, come on. Go get dressed."

I rolled my eyes and ran downstairs. He threw my bag at me after I dressed. I looked in to find my phone, keys, and wallet already there. I dumped them out and grabbed a backpack. Stuffing my laptop in, I threw in the rest and then followed him out. "Why am I coming with you?"

"You're not. You're going to the library. You haven't finished your research."

"Right, not sure how you know that. But okay. Did you crack into my laptop yet?"

"No."

I grinned and grabbed the back of his coat as he opened the door. The reporters were already swarming. I gasped as a blast of cold air hit me. The cameras and microphones started pressing in on all sides. Next thing I knew, I lost Sherlock and was blinded by a camera flash.

"Miss Close! What can you tell us about-"

"Get off!" I shoved the man away. "I don't want to tell you anything! The case is solved, the kid got what he deserved. Get away!"

"Miss Close!"

"Just tell us-"

"What about-"

"Come here." I yelped as a hand grabbed me and dragged me to a cab. Sherlock slammed the door as he slid in beside me. He sighed and gave the cabbie directions. I slumped in the corner of the seat and curled up as much as I could. It was freezing out there!

"You don't usually get credit do you? So now they're all excited about it."

He was typing away on his phone. "Mhm."

"What would I do if I came to Bart's?"

"Nothing."

"So I could sit in a corner and work?"

He got the cabbie's attention. "Never mind, take us to Bart's." The man nodded and turned the car. I slumped back in my seat. No doubt, I'd be attacked again once they figured out where I was. It'd be best to stay with Sherlock. He probably knew how to evade them. We pulled up and Sherlock stepped out. I sighed and paid the fare before following after him.