Chapter 20 - Explosion

"Sherlock!" I screamed. Neither of them moved. I started running, vaguely registering John falling in beside me. We stopped just as Sherlock sat up. He staggered to his feet and checked himself. I fell into him, clutching him tightly. Hurst didn't move.

Sherlock's chest shuddered and he heaved in a breath. "I'm fine. Fine." He slowly pushed me away. The paramedics started coming in. I turned to see Nelson and the assassin being dragged away. Harriet's body was covered. I breathed a sigh of relief.

It was over.

Within the week, everything was cleared up. The fascination with Sherlock's condition faded. The press covered the shooting until there was nothing left to talk about. It looked like we were going to get a break.

Mycroft put me in charge of a new division entirely dedicated to finding out what Nevermore was and stopping them. Jules was assigned as a tech assistant and I managed to call Vick in as the science consultant. Since I was in charge, I could assign who I wanted. Jules was a talented hacker and Vick's recent studies would help us get close to Nevermore's ability to wipe memories and cause aneurisms in perfectly healthy people. My team was composed of twenty-five people. There was just one more person I needed.

"Hello again." The warehouse door opened and I stepped in. "Here for Leddy?"

I nodded and she dropped down from the rafters again. I shook her hand. "So you kicked rehab."

"And the drugs. I did it myself, didn't need any bleedin' therapists."

I smiled. "Remember Nevermore?" She nodded. "I've been put in charge of a division to track them down. You've got a talent with computers and you know secret societies. I need someone with their ear to the ground. You in?"

She folded her arms. "I'm not working for any suits."

I dropped the silver case in my hands at her feet. "Consider that your starting bonus. Baker Street at eight thirty on Monday. Don't be late." I left.

On Friday, Sherlock took me to a pub. He had decided to resume training me in the science of deduction, though he said that taking me out didn't count as a date. He insisted that a relationship had been just as distracting as he'd expected. I told myself not to take offense, he'd have said that no matter who the girl was. I sipped my beer and sat back.

"Tell me something." He raised a brow. "You've been trying to hack into my laptop for a year. You still don't know the password?"

He looked annoyed by the reminder of my laptop. "No."

I grinned. "The information for it is on a file so you'll never find it."

"Why is it so difficult?"

"It's not."

"Give me a hint."

"It's a name. A girl's name."

He sat back slowly, thinking. "Alright."

I smiled and stood. "Come on, let's head home." He stood and paid the tab before we left. I stepped out and pulled my jacket closer around me. The temperature had dropped way faster than I expected. He held a hand up and a cab came towards us. We slid in and Sherlock gave the cabbie the address to the flat. He was quiet again so I looked out the window. The cab was turning in front of a bus when someone on it caught my eye. He looked up suddenly, terror marking his face. We turned in front and stopped at a light. I tried to turn to get a glimpse of him again but the bus had turned fully.

Shrugging this off, I faced forward just as something slammed into the cab. We were thrown forward as the shock shattered the windows. An arm flung in front of me, holding me back. The cab rushed forward into the intersection and something hit us. My scream was thrown back down my throat as we flipped. I opened my eyes finally to find us upside down. Flaming debris rained down around the cab. I set my hands on the ceiling of the car and turned my head slowly. My vision cleared enough for me to look around. The cabbie was lying awkwardly. He didn't move.