Chapter 10 - The Doctor's Daughter

Charlotte sat in my parents' hotel room. Three officers, including Lestrade watched her warily. Sherlock sat in front of her. "Tell us what you know."

She took a deep breath. "Mathias approached me with the job three weeks ago. I'm a sharp shooter. I do the killings. I hired an old friend to take Abigail to him. Mathias plans to sell Jade tonight and Stone will go for an even higher price. Mathias knows I've turned. He's gotten desperate because you're getting close. He'll come after me once your sister's hour is up. Give up the case. He'll call you in ten minutes, at the half hour mark. He has to hear from you, Mister Holmes, and then he'll release Abigail. Give up the case and assure me protection and I can get you Wren."

"How?"

"I can get you in to the private bidding."

"How can we be sure of this?"

"Where can I go? I just confessed to murder. Either I go with you on my own terms or Mathias can kill me on his. I prefer you."

Sherlock nodded. "Jordan?"

I studied her closely. "She's telling the truth."

"Good. Give me your phone." I handed it to him and he sat back. "Now we wait."

Ten minutes later, my phone rang. Sherlock answered. "Where do we pick her up... Yes, you have my word... Good." He hung up and looked at Charlotte. "124 Len Drive?"

She nodded. "Private bidding. They want to see the product in person."

Mom gasped. "They're selling Abbey?!"

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "No. He only wanted your daughter as leverage. I can't take you, Mister Holmes. You've dropped the case and have to stay in the shadows when we do this. Doctor Watson and Miss Close will do. You'll be French ambassadors; I postponed their trip so there won't be a problem."

We nodded. She stood and Lestrade took off her cuffs. Sherlock opened his coat and handed me a gun. "Do be careful. We'll be waiting outside."

"Oh now you care."

"I meant the gun. I want it back."

I rolled my eyes and followed John and Charlotte. She made a call and a car pulled up. She gestured for us to get in. She handed me a bag filled with hair stuff and make up. I pinned my hair into an up-do and put on the dark lipstick. I pulled on the sunglasses and took the coat she flung at me. She handed me some black heels and a hat. John was given a hat and a new coat, not needing much to look different.

"Do either of you know French?"

"Barely." I muttered.

"Passcode is Kiev. Look stern. Say little. Tape the whole event on your phones." We nodded and stepped out as the car stopped. John walked in front of me, pretending to be my guard.

"Are you sure about this?" He whispered.

"Nope."

He stopped in front of the man at the door. I looked at him from over my sunglasses. "Kiev." He nodded and let us through. I took off my glasses and pulled the hat down over my face. We sat in the back of the bidding room. It filled up finally and the doors were closed. A man I assumed to be Mathias stepped onto a makeshift platform. He smiled all around.

I studied his tanned face and cold eyes. His brown hair was cropped short and he had a light stubble. He wore a dark purple suit, with a white rose in the chest pocket. An upright gurney was wheeled in, a man laying still on it. He was strapped in and struggled as the lights hit him.

Mathias placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed. "Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome! Tonight we bid on a weapon that could change the course of war. Shall we skip the formalities and go straight to the demonstration?"