Chapter 23 - Pentagon

Alvin stopped the car outside of Scotland Yard. I jumped out and ran to Lestrade. "Hey!"

He smiled. "I only came out to see you off. Ramsay told me you were assigned to the Pentagon." He said the last bit in a whisper as it was technically classified. I smiled and nodded. 

"It'll be fine."

"If you're in charge, I know it will be. Go on."

Ramsay stepped out and Alvin came to take his bag. We slid into the car and were off to the airport in minutes. Once there I grinned to see John waiting by the private plane. I hoisted my bag higher on my back and ran to him. He laughed and let me hug him.

"I didn't realize it until now but I'm gonna miss you." I muttered. "But it won't be long so it's okay."

He smiled and patted my arm. "Glad to see you're not as upset about going now."

"I'll be okay."

A new voice interrupted us. "Better than okay, I'd expect." I cringed and turned to walk to Mycroft. He was leaning on his umbrella and standing beside Sherlock. "Miss Close."

"Mr. Holmes." I folded my arms over my chest.

"I see you'll be in good hands. I trust everything is in order."

"Yes, sir."

"Good. This should run smoothly with you over there. These are yours."

He handed me a small silver case. I opened it and checked the three earpieces inside. I tucked it in my bag and nodded. "We'll be in touch."

He left and I sighed. I was still angry with him for agreeing to send me to America and the Pentagon, no less. But he was only doing his job and as painful as it was I had to do mine. Shaking my head, I turned to the boys. "Let's get going then."

..........................

I woke up as the plane started descending. Commissioner Ramsay sat up. As the plane rolled to a stop, he stood and got his bag. 

"Good luck." I said.

He gave me a tense smile. "Same to you." He left and the plane prepared to take off again. We had stopped in New York to drop Ramsay off. Mycroft had heightened his clearance so I could have a man I could trust in New York.

Sherlock and I got off at DC. A car met us on the runway and drove us to our hotel. I locked my door and fell onto the bed immediately. Groaning loudly, I rolled over and buried my face in the pillows. I was exhausted and the thought of facing my past tomorrow just made me want to cry. I rolled back over and stared up at the ceiling. Deciding to skip dinner and get ready bed, I went to take a shower. By the time I was finished and ready to sleep, I was panicking again. I kept telling myself to just not think about tomorrow, about Ross but it was easier said than done. I jumped from the bed and turned the bathroom light on. I closed the curtains. My good mood from this morning was long gone. I couldn't decide if I was terrified of Ross or the memories his name awakened. 

It hadn't been so bad working for him. He didn't threaten me often as I simply agreed to do as he said. The worst part had been when I tried to run. I rubbed my arms and paced the room. Giving up, I shook my head and curled under the covers. I couldn't think about it, it would only make things worse. Sighing, I forced myself to go to sleep.

.........................

"Miss! Miss Close!"

I jumped awake to find a man shaking me. I screamed and pushed him off. "Get away! Stay away from me!"

"Miss Close, please! You're alright."

I stared at him, recognizing the hotel uniform. Relaxing slowly, I wiped my eyes and nodded to show him it was okay.