Chapter 12 - Dating

I was just stepping into the lift when a hand stopped the doors. Mycroft stepped in and stood beside me, saying a quiet good morning. I smiled brightly and greeted him. He looked at me quizzically and then laughed. I stared at him, slightly frightened. His laughter quieted down to a chuckle and he shook his head.

“I will have to give my dear brother a call today. How long ago did this start?”

It took me a second to realize what he was talking about. “Oh! He said I was his girlfriend as part of our cover for the last case and then asked me if I would be amendable to making it a reality. Made it sound like a business transaction, really.”

“I see. I would like to say that I am surprised but I’m really not. I wish you luck. You’ll need it.”

I laughed and tilted my head in an agreeing manner. He went to his office, calling that our first appointment was at two. I headed to my new office and settled down to working for the next few hours. My phone beeped and I glanced over at it. Sherlock.

Where does one take a girl like you for a first date?

SH

I chuckled. Not the morgue.

Dammit.

SH

I laughed. Please tell me you weren’t considering it.

Of course not. I’m not that bad. Now answer my question.

SH

Get John out of the flat and we can play cluedo. I’ll cook. Then we can avoid people.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

SH

I rolled my eyes and was about to throw my phone in my bag when it beeped again. It was John this time.

Do you know why Sherlock is so happy?

He solved a case?

He should be bored.

Well… Oh, Molly sent that liver for him finally.

God help us.

I hated to lie to John but it really would be fun to see how long it took him to figure it all out. I worked until one thirty and then grabbed my things and went to Mycroft’s office. He stepped out, setting his umbrella over his arm. I followed him in silence. Anthea sat in the front of the car and handed a file to me. A very influential figure from Japan was in London and apparently she had a problem for us to handle. I nodded and closed the file. We were driving past a shopping center and I did a double take, seeing something I liked while we were stopped in traffic.

I studied the white dress, admiring the detailed design around the middle. Michael Kors… Mom adored him. I was about to dismiss it as too expensive when I suddenly remembered who I worked for. Mycroft Holmes wasn’t stingy. He paid well, very well. I smiled to myself. I’d have to come back over here and look around.

We arrived at Claridge’s finally and Mycroft went right to the front desk. “Takagi.” The clerk nodded and directed him to the room. “Pay attention, Jordan.”

I hurried after him, staring around me. The checkered tile shone brightly in the yellow light of the chandelier and lamps.  I admired the warm, elegant colors. High white ceilings and cream pillars adorned the lobby. If this was just the entrance, what were the rooms like? We were directed to the Davies Penthouse. A man answered the door, his brown eyes studying us suspiciously.