Chapter 10

Amily was picked for hunting for dinner that night. A little nervous about shooting a living thing for the first time, she walked over to Pan for advice.

"Why don't we just 'wish up' our food?" she asked.

"Because that's no fun" well there's no arguing with that.

Amily had a few hours to kill before the hunting party left so she decided to get in some target practice in the shooting range away from the camp. It mostly consisted of straw targets and wooden dummies, but she needed all the practice that she could get.

Throughout the walk Amily decided to get some serious thought done on her current predicament. She knew she could never really let go of that part of her that over-thought anything. Just as much as she knew how she felt about a certain boy.

For days on end Pan haunted her dreams with that same charming smile and playful glint in his eyes. Thankfully, there was no burning villages or creepy voices in these dreams. Just the giddy feeling that followed. There was no denying it, she had fallen bad.

What would her mother say? Saying that she loved a boy she had just met less than two days ago! But, she supposed Pan was different. He had shown up in her dreams and directed her to this magical place. He was alluring and charismatic. And Amily couldn't help but love that dangerous side that he had, full of boyish mischief.

She giggled to herself as she imagined him holding her. Amily would happily die if those deep green eyes were the last thing she saw.

Reaching the shooting range she felt light. Neverland and Pan had the power to do that to her and she almost didn't doubt herself when it came to shooting. But when Amily noticed how uncoordinated she was when it came to nocking an arrow, that feeling faded.

She let the arrow fly and watched as it barely skimmed the edge of the target.

"Damn" Ma would swat her if she was caught using such language but with the next arrow she shot the thought vanished.

Amily loosed arrow after arrow but wasn't really paying attention. Her thoughts were running rampant. What would her family be doing right now? Had they given up searching or come to the conclusion that she had in fact run away? She thought about the earnest girl buying strawberries at the market for a father that she had already lost when he didn't get out of bed. For some foreign reason, the thought angered her yet amused her at the same time. That girl was gone, dead. In the short space of two days Amily had discovered who she really was.

With new-found fire she aggresively loosed another arrow. It was closer to the bullseye this time but not nearly as close as she wanted. If the target were an animal it'd be long gone by now.

"Would you like some help?" Amily whirled to find Pan leaning on a tree towards the edges of the shooting range. His arms were crossed.

"How long have you been standing there?" she asked curiosly.

"I've watched you shoot the last two arrows and noticed you might need some pointers" she looked over at the target for the last two arrows shot. She definitely could use some help. Amily nodded.

Pan stode over to her confidentally and she felt nervous. The last time the two of them had been together Amily's attempt at intimacy had failed miserably. Her cheeks felt hot and she was sure Pan noticed.

"First, you're standing wrong" he pointed to her feet which were right next to each other. Pan put his hands on Amily's shoulders and pushed.

"Relax everything. Breathe deeply" he ordered and she did.

"Now, move your feet so that they're as far apart as your shoulders" Amily did as told and turned to face the target.

She felt positive about Pan's advice and confident about the next shot...until Pan put his arms around her. Amily hoped that Pan wouldn't hear her give a little gasp. She could feel him breathe deeply against her.