Chapter 15

At first Pan and Amily had no idea that the attack had begun. The woke in the early hours of the morning and just enjoyed each other's presence. Pan stroked Amily's bare back and they both dwelled in that glorious half asleep state.

She tried to think of how she felt in that moment. Did she feel different, more grown up? So many girls in their village had started families young. It was the only thing that they could contribute after marriage. What Amily and her mother had tried to preserve for so long was gone. But she was glad Peter Pan was the one who had taken it. Sighing, she focused on the long and steady stokes Pan made down her back. Amily stifled a shiver.

And then she heard it. She knew Pan had heard it to because at the time her head turned up to hear the noise better, his was already alert, his face concerned.

The sounds were of clanking metal and shouting. Voices unrecognisable but deep. Too deep to be boys. No screams but there were shots from the Lost Boys in retaliation. Pan and Amily couldn't make out the words but it was obviously an argument turned ugly.

Pan almost flew to the ceiling in an attempt to free himself from the tangle of blankets. Amily didn't know why but once he was out and the blankets scuffled, she pulled them quickly around herself, keeping her body hidden from the day.

She watched in confusion as Peter quickly pulled his clothes and boots back on all while the noise from the camp seemed to narrate the rush he was in.

"Peter? What's going on?" Amily was aware of how pathetic she sounded but he paid her no notice. He threw her clothes on the bed and pointed, anger glaring in his eyes. She knew he wasn't angry at her and perhaps it wasn't anger in Pans eyes. His home sounded as though it was in danger, he had perfect reason to be panicked.

"Get dressed" He almost growled the words. "We need to go now, quickly" Amily dressed as fast as she could. So fast, that she didn't remember most of the process once she was done.

Before she was even done straightening herself in the small, carved-wooden mirror Pan had swung her onto his back and was leaping off the balcony and into the sky. Amily wrapped her arms around his neck and hung on tightly.

***

The sight of the camp from above was so frightening, it could have been one of Amily's nightmares. Pan flew over it first, taking in the scene. The Lost Boys and pirates were deep in combat and Amily was surprised at how well the boys seemed to be managing. Pan then landed thick in the jungle away from the camp. Once they were on the ground Amily was able to get a good look at his face. It was stony and expressionless, his mouth was pulled into a thin line.

"I'll deal with this" She didn't know if he was telling her that or himself.

Peter Pan closed his eyes for a moment, regaining his composure, and then walked into the heat of the battle. There was no order for Amily to stay where she was, so she didn't.

The battles scattered around the camp ceased with Pan's every step further inward. The Lost Boys doubled the pirates numbers so they were forced to fight two, even three, boys at a time. This didn't seem a problem.

The last battle to come to close was that of Hook and Felix's. Felix swung his club with ease, narrowly missing Hook's stubbly jaw. The pirate dodged easily and spun to bash the back of Felix's head with his hilt-holding fist. When Peter approached both fighters stopped.

Felix looked amused and a little relieved. Hook looked murderous. Pan grinned evilly and nodded at Felix to join his brothers. Amily, noticing the crowd of Lost Boys next to Pan, did the same.

"Is there a problem, Hook?" said Pan with mock concern. In an instant, Hook took hold of Pan's collar and pushed him onto a rock that was set at the edge of the camp. Amily could see the sharper edge of it push into Peter's back.