Chapter 11

Everything was silent as Amily was sure that she was plummeting to the ground. She squeezed her eyes shut ready for impact but after awhile nothing came. 

"Amily, open your eyes" she heard Pan's voice say gently.

Slowly but surely she did and nothing prepared her for what she saw.

And what she saw, was everything. From this height, Amily could see the whole island! The beaches and the jungle, the smoke billowing from the camp's fire. It was breathtaking and she was indeed breathless. This was the stuff of dreams.

"How- how am I..." Amily struggled to get the words out. Everything was so wonderful.

"I have my ways" Pan held up a small vial of a powdery substance.

"But mostly, this island is full of surprises" he said and handed her the vial.

"Pixie dust" was all he said as she examined it. It certainly didn't look magical but, being this far off the ground, Amily would believe anything was possible.

"Let's fly!" Pan shouted gleefully and did a backflip. Amily laughed hysterically, aching to try it.

Flying was unlike anything she had ever experienced. It took effort to propel herself through the air yet it also seemed like the wind carried her like a leaf. She didn't need to move any body parts to make herself move, Amily just needed to push.

The wind whipped her hair and caressed her body, inflating her clothes. She had never felt more weightless, it was spectacular.

They both soared and cheered and Amily almost forgot where she was and who she was with. The moon hung in the sky over head and lit up the night making everything all the more enchanting. Amily had noticed that the moon looked bigger in Neverland. Like a giant, luminous disk in the sky.

"Amily!" Pan got her attention and pointed to someplace in the distance. Looking over she discovered that what Pan was pointing at was a cliff-top. Even from far away, Amily could tell that it was candle-lit. She was surprised at this romantic side of Pan that she was sure no one had ever seen before.

When they arrived, Amily's landing was pathetic. She stumbled twice before Pan finally had to land gracefully to stop her from falling.

Things began to turn awkward as both Amily and Pan sat atop the cliff with their feet dangling off the edge with nothing to talk about. Amily thought up possible ways of starting a conversation but they all seemed as pathetic as she felt. She sat there sighing and looked away. She was startled when Pan kicked things off.

"So tell me about yourself" This was something she desperately wanted to avoid. As far as people went Amily was nothing special.

"What do you want to know?" she asked shyly.

"Oh I don't know... what's your favorite color?" Pan said. Amily still wasn't looking at him yet she could feel his gaze. She thought for a moment before answering.

"Green" like your eyes. She didn't dare say it but desperately wanted to.

This time she looked up and Pan was staring intently at her. There was nothing dangerous in his gaze though it wasn't gentle. There was silence between them for a few seconds, long enough to make things weird. Amily cleared her throat.

"What about you? What's your favorite color?" she asked.

"Blue" She tried not to be excited that this was the color of her eyes. It was also the color of the sky and sea, two things that Pan could have whenever he wanted.

They sat there again not speaking, both thinking of something to say.

"Why did you come here?" Amily asked. The question had been nagging at her and she was glad that she had finally found the time to ask it.

Pan slouched back, making himself comfortable for telling a story. He knew that this would be totally improvised. A complete lie.

"I awoke one day and mother was gone. Ran away from my father's gambling problem, I suppose" He laughed a bitter coarse laugh with no humor behind it. To Amily it seemed as though the story was painful to tell. Of course, that was completely untrue.

"My father and I moved away to a new village but his debt caught up with him. When things looked like they would get ugly, he sent me to go play with some street kids. When I returned, he had a dagger in his chest" Amily couldn't identify the expression on Pan's face. He stared straight ahead into the sky, not looking at her.

Her heart gave a little throb. So he too came from a broken family. They could be broken together.

"Peter..." she lightly put her hand over his and he looked at her with an almost crazed look. Nobody called him that anymore. Amily was nervous but not afraid.

Pan pulled her onto him forcefully and laid back. She was above him now and the moon contrasted with her auburn locks, like a halo. Amily was aware that she was straddling his hips and cursed herself for not being more coordinated when it came to these situations. She had no idea what to do now except stare into Pan's lush green eyes. She felt trapped, but in a good way.

Pan seemed to know what to do though. With brutal strength he locked a hand behind her neck and bought Amily's face crashing down on his, smashing their lips together passionately.

He seemed urgent to get all the emotion into the kiss but that was okay, Amily was in no hurry to stop.

The wildness in both their hearts came out and so did all the mixed feelings that Amily had kept bottled up. The kiss turned hot and wet and Amily realized she was crying. But not for the reason that Pan would expect. She was happy because this was how her life was meant to be lived. Wild and passionate and free.

Amily deepened the kiss, opening Pan's mouth beneath hers. Feeling bold, she tangled her hands in his soft brown hair. The smell of him was all around her. Wood, like the jungle as well as nettles and pine needles.

Pan's hands held her waist tightly and pulled her against him. Amily found that she was mentally asking herself how far she wanted to take this. Pan was all she wanted but she had never done this kind of thing before.

So they just kissed. For what seemed like hours. Pan held her waist and at times it seemed like he wanted to go further. But he didn't. Amily got tingles as he ventured beneath her loose white blouse but that was as far as went. He traced patterns around her navel and she savoured the feel of it.

When their kisses had changed to short sweet pecks Amily stopped to breathe. Her forehead was against Pan's and they were both breathing deeply. She kissed his forehead before rolling over to lie on his chest. Amily could hear his heart beating fiercely in his chest.

"Pan, was that your first kiss?" she joked.

"We don't get girls very often on the island" Amily laughed, knowing that she was the first.

Pan had no choice but join in laughing and Amily delighted in the feel of it beneath her. Little did she know, Pan was laughing for a completely different reason.