8 - Brand New Fate

August

INGREDIENTS: Champandongo

1/4 kilo ground beef

1/4 kilo ground pork

200 grams walnuts

200 grams almonds

1 onion

1 candies citron

2 tomatoes

1 tbsp sugar

1/4 cup cream

1/4 kilo queso manchego

1/4 cup

chicken stock

corn tortillas

oil

Tita's POV

It's been a month since Mama Elena had to eat what I cooked. And just earlier, she had met her demise. I know that sounds really brutal, but she died from pains and spasms, caused by the constant use of ipecac that John and I found in her dresser. Even though Mama Elena and I constantly fought, I just feel so empty from not being able to get along with my mother and build a strong mother-daughter relationship.

I even found something new about Mama Elena. During a time in my childhood, I found a box in Mama Elena's wardrobe during a game of hide and seek. And as I stared at the key around her neck I knew exactly what that key goes with. When I opened it I found letters and a diary that revealed the substantial secret Mama Elena has been hiding for her whole entire life.

Mama Elena was part of a forbidden love with someone named José Trevino, who was part black. And from what I read, my grandparents didn't like that, and immediately made her marry my late father, Juan De la Garza, but that didn't stop her from seeing her lover. She even wanted to runaway when she found out she was pregnant, but at their meeting place José was killed. My father didn't know about Mama Elena's situation until the night I was born, but also passed away because he had a heart attack from hearing such news of betrayal.

From reading Mama's passed, I now know to never reject love, for Mama was denied of having love that only comes in a lifetime.

At Mama Elena's funeral, Pedro and a pregnant Rosaura attended as well. But whenever I looked at Pedro, I keep questioning myself and my decision to pursue John. Is John really my true love, my soulmate? Why am I second-guessing myself? Either way Pedro does not deserve my love for he left me to go to San Antonio.

Pedro's POV

I. Hate. It. Tita and Dr. Brown holding hands, I will not let this happen. We've been through so much because of Mama Elena, and today is the best opportunity to pursue our love and life together. So for John to swoop in and take Tita, I will not let another person to stop me.

Tita's POV

I didn't know how much Mama Elena's death affected Rosaura, but it was enough for Rosaura to give birth prematurely. On top of that, she can't get pregnant again due to complications during birth.

But besides that, I have a niece now and her name's Esperanza. This time around, I know better to not get too close to her, to prevent my heart from breaking again.

But my plan to keep a distance fails, considering Rosaura is ill which means I'm Esperanza's caretaker. But during the times I take care of her, I realized she's like a mini me! She hangs out in the kitchen since that's where I am majority of my time. She loves the smell and sounds of cooking too.