Chapter Eleven

When Kendra arrived home Monday afternoon, she felt like a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She'd talked to Trinity and Rachel during lunch, and the three of them talked and laughed just like old times. Except, of course, without Millie. Kendra knew that she would need to apologize to Millie, but she figured she should wait a few days. If she knew Millie at all, she knew that she was more forgiving the longer she waited.

Without the whole Abigail situation to deal with, Kendra was way less stressed. She had spent so much time worrying, that she'd barely had any time to do anything fun. So after checking her email and getting a snack, Kendra read more in her book, Two Different Worlds. She couldn't wait to see what ingredient the mermaid had to collect next to make the potion.

She had been so in depth in her reading, she did not hear her mother walk through the front door. It wasn't until she yelled her name three times that Kendra realized she was home.

"Hey Mom. Sorry I didn't answer. I was reading."

Kendra's mom sat her purse down. "That's fine. I just wanted to tell you some exciting news!"

"Ooh! I like exciting news! Are we getting a bunny?" Kendra had been begging for a pet bunny her whole life.

"No," her mom said, smiling but shaking her head.

"Then what?"

"Remember my friend Carol?" she asked.

Kendra nodded. It had been a while since they last saw each other. Kendra had been seven at the time when they took a family vacation to New York to see Carol and her family. Kendra's parents had still been together then, so it was a true family vacation. She knew that they had visited them awhile back too. It was too far back for Kendra to remember though.

"Well, she decided to move to Pennsylvania!"

"Cool," Kendra said. "Then you'll get to see her often."

Her mom bit her lip. "Maybe more often than you think." She avoided eye contact.

"Mom..." Kendra said slowly, her anxiety coming back. "What do you mean?"

"Well, they house they are buying is still in the building process and they have to be out of their apartment before it's completed. Carol and her husband will stay in their new house, but the kids' bedrooms aren't finished yet. So, I offered to let them stay in our house while they wait."

"MOM! Are you crazy? We don't have room for two extra people! Where are they going to stay?" Kendra was furious. How was this great news? She had been all excited that she was figuring out her friendship problems and now this?

"Kendra, do not raise your voice with me. Our house is plenty big enough. We will just have to make a few arrangements."

"What kind of arrangements?" asked Kendra in a softer voice.

"Well, we have a guest room, so their son can stay there. And as for their daughter, we thought that she could share a room with you."

"What?" Kendra could not believe what she was hearing. She would have to share her house with strangers? She would have to share her room with somebody else? How could her mom do this to her?

"Calm down," her mom said. "It's only temporary."

"How long?" asked Kendra.

"Their house is almost complete, so maybe three weeks?" her mom guessed.

"THREE WEEKS?" screamed Kendra, not worrying about keeping her voice down. "I have to share my room for A WHOLE THREE WEEKS?"

"Kendra, Carol is my best friend. Her kids don't have anywhere to stay. Our house is plenty big enough for the two of them. What we are doing is a nice thing and I thought you of all people would understand. It's only three weeks."

"I know that they don't have anywhere else to go, but you didn't even ask me first. I live here too."

"I thought you would be happy. You're always saying how bored you are since you don't have any brothers or sisters. Now you get to have a brother and a sister."

Kendra thought this over. It was true that she did wish she had siblings, but she had already made up her mind that she was mad. But, for her mother's sake, she said, "Okay. Maybe it won't be that bad."

"Their names are Carmine and Amy. Amy is in tenth grade and Carmine is in seventh, like you. They are coming on October 22nd, which is less than a month away, so you need to clean up your room and help me get the guest room set up."

"Okay," Kendra grumbled.

She trudged up the stairs to her room and sat down at her desk, staring at her black phone screen. Only a few weeks ago, she would be on the phone with Millie, telling her everything that happened. Millie would come over right away and help her clean her room. Millie would understand. But it was a new time now, and Kendra was on her own.