Chapter Ten

By the time lunch rolled around, Kendra was still very anxious to talk to Abigail. And there she was, right by the edge of the school, waiting for Kendra.

"How do you always get here before me?" asked Kendra, racing up to her friend. "I practically ran here!"

Abigail smirked. "I was nearby. So, did you hear about Millie running for Halloween Queen?"

Kendra nodded. "And she's going with Josh. Of all people."

Abigail grinned. "Do I sense... jealousy?"

It was no use keeping her crush a secret. Abigail seemed to always be able to read her emotions. It was sort of strange. Kendra had never met anyone else who could always figure out what she was thinking. Even Millie, whom people mistook for Kendra's twin sister not too long ago, couldn't tell what Kendra was thinking.

Kendra sheepishly agreed. "It just makes me sort of mad, you know? Millie already left me as a friend and now she's going to the Halloween Dance with Josh. It's just really irritating. It's not fair." Her anger bubbled up inside her.

"Well you don't need anybody else," said Abigail in a strange voice. It seemed distant, but forceful in a way. "We are best friends, right?"

"Well..."

"You don't need any other friends. Friends back talk each other and fight and cause drama. They say they're there for you but they really aren't. The lie. They spread rumors. But I won't, Kendra. I'm not like them." Abigail was dead serious.

"Don't you think you're going a little too far?" asked Kendra. "I mean, sure there are a few backstabbers like Millie, but what about Trinity and Rachel? They're my friends and they would never do that."

"That's what you think. But there will come a time when you drift apart and realize there's only one person you can really trust."

Kendra looked at Abigail. "But, Trinity and Rachel are awesome. They are two of the most caring people I know."

"Whatever," Abigail muttered. She turned back, eyes glimmering in the sunlight. "Just remember what I said, Kendra. The world is full of liars and backstabbers. And it's time for them to pay the price." As she walked away, her words hung in the air like parts of an unfinished conversation.

Kendra shivered and zipped up her hoodie. It seemed like the temperature just dropped ten degrees. But maybe, it was just her icy friend.

What exactly did Abigail mean? The world is full of liars and backstabbers and it's time for them to pay the price? Kendra hoped that Abigail wouldn't do anything drastic. She knew how her friend could overreact sometimes. Both Kendra and Abigail overreacted sometimes. But Kendra was more levelheaded and usually didn't take action right away. After all, it was Abigail's idea to pull the prank on Michelle and her friends. And it was her idea to sneak off of school property multiple times, throw peaches, and mess around in the prop room. She even stole Mr. Smith's chalk prized chalk bin. Kendra didn't realize it until now, but she didn't think Abigail ever returned it. Ever since they drew on the school, Mr. Smith has been using plain white chalk which he never, ever used.

The more Kendra thought about it, the more she started to wonder. Who was this person who kept going along with all of Abigail's crazy plans? Who was this person that snuck off of school grounds, almost got detention for being late to class, vandalized the school, and filled three lockers with glue, feathers, and glitter? Before Kendra met Abigail, she would not have done any of these things. For the first time since her and Millie's fight, she missed her best friend. Millie never would have pressured Kendra into breaking school rules. Sure, Millie was more outgoing than her, but bad? No. Millie followed the rules and knew when enough was enough.

But Abigail didn't seem to get that. Kendra wished she could take back the prank she pulled on Michelle. She should have known better. Abigail was a bad influence. Why had she gone along with everything?

Kendra felt a thousand emotions run through her like a river. She had been in the dark all this time. It was true they hadn't been caught, but they'd disobeyed the school rules, put themselves in danger, and bullied their classmates. Abigail was pushy, bossy, and moody. Kendra mistook her riskiness for fun and adventurous. Kendra was angry with herself for not realizing this sooner. She had become a different person hanging out with Abigail. And she did not like that person at all.

It was time to face the truth. Kendra needed to get away from Abigail before she went over the edge.