∆1∆ What the Heck Was That?

Ugh.

Julie Moore and Nathan Yearly were making out right beside my locker and I tried my best not to throw up as I slammed my locker door shut, heading to the school cafeteria for lunch.

Being at Greenwood High, I was used to these type of things. People were hooking up with other people all the time and Julie and Nathan had apparently just gotten together. It made sense, they were both completely popular. Julie with her long blonde hair and stunning looks and Nathan with his dark hair and mysterious vibe, he was the captain of the soccer team. I could never hope to be on the same level socially, romantically or otherwise with them.

In the two years that I've been in this school, no boy has ever looked my way. My plain dark brown hair and glasses and my fashion taste didn't get me anywhere and I could not care less. At least, that's what I liked to tell myself.

Relationships were a hassle and just one more thing I didn't need to worry about. Besides, I had my best friend Diana for company. I had met her freshman year and we became good friends after she shared her homemade food with me, since I hated cafeteria food. We also found we had other things in common like despising this school and most of its people.

Diana greeted me from one corner of the cafeteria, her boyfriend, Ryan, right beside her. It was no surprise she had a boyfriend, she was very attractive with her wavy dark hair and blue eyes that could pull you in and a personality that was hilarious and sweet and Ryan was just the same. He had dark hair but with brown eyes and he wore glasses. It's like they were meant for each other.

We usually meet in the library but before I had to leave for trigonometry, Diana said to go to the cafeteria which meant she was probably really hungry or was trying to torture me.

"Hey guys. Guess what? Julie and Nathan are together now." I stated as I sat down across from them and they both raised their brows.

"Totally expected. Wonder who her next victim is." Diana said as she put a whole meatball into her mouth. I scrunched my nose up at the food.

"Where's your lunch?" Ryan asked as he twirled the spaghetti on his tray. Me and Ryan had become good friends as his personality was the same as Diana's. He was extremely smart, so smart that it makes me wonder why he's in this rural, unknown and unpopular school. He was also the owner of the school's chess team and was the only one who could properly explain trigonometry to me.

"I don't even know why you're asking me that question at this point." I said as I took out my own homemade tuna sandwich and apple slices. I wouldn't eat cafeteria food to save my life, not that it would considering half of it was probably expired anyway.

I tried the burger once and it was half cooked plus it tasted funny. After further investigation, I found out that the reason it tasted funny was that I had eaten a fly after I felt something scaly stuck inside my mouth (yuck) and I took it out to see it was a super tiny wing and threw everything out. In conclusion, I never touched cafeteria food again.

"C'mon. I doubt there's a fly in the meatballs even though this does taste kind of raw." Diana said as she frowned at the meatballs and poked them. Ryan raised a brow.

"You ate a fly?" He asked as I was about to take a bite out of my sandwich. I kind of lost my appetite and had unwelcome flashbacks to that day.

"Yep. It was in one of the burgers they serve." I said and Ryan made a disgusted face as he pushed the food tray away.

"Never mind. I'm not hungry." He said and Diana laughed. He wasn't here during the cafeteria incident last year. Diana and him got together three months ago, right at the start of January and halfway through our junior year. Now it was almost spring and they were still going strong.