|| 7 ||

- - - - - -

She wasn't at breakfast, and she didn't appear when her father's voice called out her name from the bottom of the grand staircase with a boom that reverberated throughout the estate.

If there was anything he hated the most, it was being ignored.

He had sent Mr. Pennyworth to bring out his daughter, but she didn't answer her door.

Worried, the butler had no other choice but to force himself in, and when he came across the state of her room, the butler immediately notified his young master and YN's father.

The sheets on the bed were disheveled. The lamp that had sat on the end table last night now lay bent on the floor with multiple pieces of the bulb's opaque glass scattered all around. The balcony doors were wide open, swinging lightly and creaking against the strong gusts of winds that came in.

Byakuya stood in YN's empty and cold room.

She was nowhere to be found.

He eyed the scuff marks on the wood floors that led away from her bed and followed them outside to the balcony, his arms crossed tightly.

Looking over the curly iron railings to a trampled flower bed directly underneath, Byakuya noticed there were dried streaks of mud and boot prints that led off the concrete pathway, away from the mansion, and into the manicured lawn that stretched for miles.

His eyes finally stopped at the forests outside the property.

Though he appeared composed, his mind was plagued with various scenarios of what could have happened and where she could be.

Was YN okay? Was she alive-?

"I sincerely apologize for the incompetence of our security system, Mr. LN." Byakuya heard his own father's rigid voice echoing into the room behind him.

He walked back inside in time to make brief eye contact with YN's father, who had also walked into the bedroom as Togami's father, Mr. Pennyworth, and a few of his siblings followed behind.

"There's no need to apologize." FN's mouth was in a firm line as he narrowed his eyes at Byakuya before staring at YN's empty bed. "This has happened before, even with the best security on our side."

Although Byakuya watched YN's father carefully, he failed to catch any hints of worry in the man before he turned to address everyone.

"I'll be taking her place for the remainder of the competition. It will go on as planned, with or without YN." FN politely motioned everyone to the door, "Please, go about your day as you normally would."

Even his voice lacked an ounce of emotion...

There were a few siblings that cast out glances and smirks to Byakuya as they left the room, but he stood firm.

'They dare celebrate her disappearance.' He fumed to himself, feeling agitated with the fact that he seemed to be the only one who was disturbed by what had happened. 'As if it will give them any advantage over me.'

When it was only Mr. Pennyworth and YN's father in the room with him, Byakuya spoke up.

"What will you do now in regards to YN?"

There was a long pause as her father looked down at the broken lamp on the floor.

"You should be focusing on the competition instead." He faced Byakuya with controlled anger in his eyes, brushing off the irritated boy. "Everyone is expecting you to fail now that she's gone."