9

A/N: This chapter is over 4300 words, without the notes. 

Could you imagine if I uploaded 8 and 9 as one?

- - - - - -

"The phone number you are trying to reach has been disconnected, or is no longer in service. Please try again later. Good-bye."

YN looked into the pay phone's receiver, confused.

She took out another coin from the oversized sweater pocket, and tried again.

"Yo!" Mondo called out from behind the machine. She leaned over to look at him.

She still wasn't used to it, how much he changed. His hair was now in a two-toned pompadour style. He wore a long black coat with gold embroidery and the gang's symbol on the back, black harem pants, and white loafers.

He was much more muscular and intimidating than before. He also began to outline his eyes with a black pencil, making his purple irises more prominent and intense.

"How many fucking times are you going to try?" He was also impatient, hotheaded, and he had developed a colorful language.

He was leaning against his parked motorcycle with his arms crossed. His foot was elevated on the curb of the sidewalk, tapping it furiously.

"I'm going to try how ever many times it takes until I reach my dad." She turned back to the phone and slid the coin in, hesitantly pressing the buttons of the filthy contraption with a scrunched up face.

She heard him growl and make his way over. He rested an arm on the top of the heavily vandalized payphone box and glared down at her.

"What if you don't reach him?" He nagged. "Will you go with me to Hope's Peak?"

"I can't do that until I get a hold of him."

"What are are you going to do if I leave and you still can't go home?!" Mondo started to raise his voice.

"Then I'll have to stay with Daiya until I figure out where he is!" Annoyed, she slammed the black phone down on the rusted cradle.

"Just go with me, YN! Fuck!" He yelled back and slammed his hand down, causing the entire stand to rattle.

"Not without talking to my dad, dammit!" She raised her voice to match his volume.

He practically threw himself forward and towered over her, glaring right into her eyes. YN only stood up straight with her arms crossed, matching his expression. Their bodies were only a few inches apart, but their heads were further away because of the height difference.

She could see restraint in his eyes. She could feel it in the way he kept his trembling hands at his sides.

She had recently noticed he had been holding himself back, but she didn't know from what.

No matter how much they argued, hey always ended up in this position.

He exhaled softly, letting his rigid body relax. His eyes softened and looked over to her cheek; to the spot where his head of security, Yukimaru, had smacked her across her face with his gun for being violent with Mondo.

There was now a smooth, jagged crescent shaped spot along her cheekbone. It was a few inches long and a few shades lighter than her skin tone.

He hesitantly raised a hand and skimmed his fingertips over it.

It was a familiar feeling, but she ignored it.

"You still can't hit me, can you?" She quietly teased. He looked back at her eyes.