Chapter 20

Gilbert's POV:
The line was silent for a moment as I held my breath, but Old Fritz broke it with a small, humor filled chuckle.

"Visit me? Gilbert it's the middle of the school year for you, I doubt your Opa will allow you to come all the way to Germany, much less your friends parents."

I could see him smiling.

"But Opa will definitely agree! And there's a break coming up so there no need to worry."

That was a lie, there wasn't a break for months.

"And I'm sure Birdie's parents will be okay with it!"

The line when silent for a few moments, before he once again chuckled.

"Birdie?"

I smile, thinking of the blond boy I've come to really like.

"His name is really Matthew, but I call him Birdie, and...we really need to get away for awhile."

"And why is that?"

I take a deep breath.

"Birdie is currently in a psychiatric hospital after a suicide attempt, and gets out very soon. His family, well...a lot of people actually, forget him all the time and I'm scared he might try something again."

I let him take it all in before continuing.

"Birdie just wants to travel far away, take a break from everything for awhile, so I want to surprise him with a trip when he gets out."

I hear him take a deep breath.

"Well Gilbert, I will make a deal with you, get Matthew's parents and your Opa to agree and you may come stay with me for two weeks."

I smiled the biggest one I've done in weeks, beginning to thank him before he cuts me off.

"Everything will be payed for, I want no money from your nor Matthew's families, just bring some for shopping if you wish to do that."

I nod, even though I know he can't see it.

"Thank you! Thank you so much Old Fritz! I will ask right now and call you back tomorrow!"

I begin to run towards the stairs.

"Okay Gilbert, ich liebe dich."

The phone hangs up, so I run up the stairs two at a time.

"Opa!"

He nearly jumps at my sudden yell. I stop right in front of him.

"I just called Old Fritz because I want to take Mattie to Germany next week in order for him to get away from everything! He said we could if you and his parents said yes! So can I go? Please! I'll run over and ask Francis and Arthur right now! He said he will pay for everything but what I buy there! Mattie will be so happy and I want him to be happy cause I'm afraid he might try to kill himself again and I think I'll die too if does that because I think I love him!"

I stop, realizing what I just said. Opa has his eyes wide from my long, and very fast, speech. He clears his throat.

"Um, Gilbert, you and Matthew have school, you can't just run off you Germany."

I open my mouth to argue, he puts up a hand to stop me.

"But, if you get all of your work and do it during the time you are there, and get Matthew's parents to agree, then...I will allow you to go."

My mouth turns into a large smile, I hug him tightly.

"I'm going to ask them right now!"

He chuckles as I run out the door.