Chapter 17

Dinner the next evening is completely unexpected. From what Collin described, I pictured Krystal as this stuck up rich girl who would show up in designer clothing with her hair perfectly styled. The girl that’s sitting across from me is the complete opposite. 

Krystal’s hair is up in a messy bun, with a few tendrils falling carelessly over her ears. She’s wearing dark jeans with a tight red sweater and knee high boots. While she looks incredibly cute, she doesn't look anything like the stuck-up cold person Collin described her turning into. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Krystal asks as we wait for our food. We had some good conversation going so far. She asked about my work and even complimented some of the pastries Collin took back to the hotel with him last night. I tried to steer clear of any mention of her parents and instead asked about her hobbies and what kinds of TV shows she’d been watching lately. 

I break out of my reverie and see her staring at me strangely, like she’s trying to figure me out as well. "Well..." I respond, unsure how honest I should be. My candidness worked well so far with Collin, so I decide to plow full steam ahead. "I was only thinking how surprised I am. You’re not at all what I expected." 

"And what did you expect?" She cocks her head, curious. 

"Well, from what Collin told me last night, I pictured someone more..." I wave my 

hand around trying to come up with a description.

"Bitchy?" She offers with a smile.

I vehemently shake my head negatively, not wanting her to get the wrong idea, especially after just meeting her. "No, just more up tight. I guess I was expecting you to walk in with a silk suit, Gucci bag, and high heeled Prada shoes telling me how you "Can't believe Collin and I are dating and we were going to be the best of friends." I mock in my most high society accent, making her laugh for several minutes. I didn’t mean to take my honesty quite so far, but Krystal doesn’t mind a bit. 

She grabs her napkin from the table and dabs at her eyes. "Oh, Collin, you have to keep this one. That's exactly what Mom sounds like!" Once she settles down, her eyes are twinkling at me in humor and she’s smiling widely, looking to relax for the first time since we arrived.

"You aren't at all what I expected either, Olivia,” she finally admits once she calms down.

“Please, call me Livie and what did you expect?” I inquire with a tilt of my head.

"A bitch,” she replies and laughs. “Collin's always bringing home the most snotty, dumb bitches who paw at him every second. Using that ridiculous pouty face when they don't get what they want. It makes me sick!" 

I put on the pouty face to demonstrate and lean on Collin’s shoulder, looking up at him soulfully.

"Yes, that's exactly what I’m talking about!" Krystal exclaims, clapping excitedly.

"But why don't you want to go shopping with me pooky bear? It's only for a few hours. I promise I'll let you pay for all the clothes I don’t need and make you listen to all of my friend’s gossip. Half of what they talk about isn’t true, but I promise you’ll love the intrigue!” I don't know how I maintain the pouty face without laughing and even start batting my eyelashes for extra effect. Collin's eyes are alight in humor as he tries to remain aloof by my pleading. Krystal on the other hand is laughing loudly across the table, drawing the stares of a few people next to us.