Chapter 9 - On My Mind

You all did it! 100 followers and counting on IG! Words can't express my excitement – thank you all! Enjoy the chapters 8,9 & 10 of Her Instinct available now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The song On My Mind by Ellie Goulding inspired this chapter. Totally suggest to listen while reading!

It was fun while it lasted, but all things must come to an end. We gathered our belongings and placed them by the door. Dasha and Sydney's parents picked them up. And it was just Allegra and I.

"Allegra!" Mr. Leto called from the kitchen. "These clothes need to be washed."

"Yeah, but who's going to walk Kerri home?" she asked.

"Oh, that's right." He crept around the corner as he dried a bowl with a paper towel.

His head rested against the wall as he looked at me. His grin stretching from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat himself. "I'll walk her home," he said.

"But Dad!-" Allegra whined in protest.

"Sorry honey." He cut her off, still drying the bowl. "You need to hit those clothes. They're a mile high!"

"Fine." She fumed.

"Besides... it'll be nice to see Ms. Sanchez and Nico – it's been a while," his eyes lit up as he thought.

Apparently, I had no say in this matter. I stared back at Mr. Leto, trying to see what lurked behind his eyes. Was there another trick up his sleeve?

"Just give me 5 minutes Kerri and we can head over." He told me before quickly shuffling away.

After Allegra and I said our goodbyes, I fetched my things, making sure everything was packed. I didn't live far away at all, like 2 ½ blocks down, but I guess no neighborhood not matter how nice is safe for a young lady to travel alone in the evening.

Butt up and head down, I bent over, trying to squeeze everything in my bag. There was this one section that just wouldn't zip. It was stuffed to the max. I thought I heard something behind me but I was too focused on this. If Allegra wants to make a joke about how silly I look, so be it. I placed the bag between my legs as I pushed down with one hand and tried to zip with the other. Once it finally fit, I stood up straight, and flung my hair back. I turned around and to my surprise, I saw Mr. Leto there leaning against the wall.

"What a view..." he commented. His position looked relaxed. How long was he standing there?

"Uh...you ready to go." I blushed as I fiddled with my things.

Mr. Leto took my bags and opened the door. "After you, Kerri." His eyes smoldered. I made my way through the door. I could feel him checking me out. This was going to be an interesting walk.

Oddly enough, Mr. Leto didn't say much as we walked. He was actually quite normal, but it didn't matter to me - I was still on edge. Every part of my skin tingled just being next to him. There was no telling what he would do. I just didn't know what to expect. Maybe his silence was  a subtle sign from him for me to act normal, too.

My mom opened the door, happy to see me and even happier to see Mr. Leto. He was like a member of the family.

He's basically the reason why we live here. He met my mom years ago at a convention and became our real estate agent for our house. He really helped my family out. With my mom being recently divorced, single mother with two kids, it was a miracle she met Mr. Leto. Even though they were friends, she felt indebted to him.