// II. //

When I woke up, the lids of my eyes felt heavier than usual. The faint sound of dripping liquids was the first thing I realized. I took a glance on my arm, and saw an IV hooked on me. I laid on my back and watched the sickening white ceiling above me.

Alright, I need to get up.

As I tried to unattach the needle from my arm, I saw a figure of my co-worker, Owen behind the white blinds. Seeing the door being half opened, I tried to scream out for him. I need to fill in the organ donor form, the death statement, take care of the funeral, I need to take care of everything.

"Hunt!" The sound of my voice was hoarse. Footsteps came running inside of the room. I saw Owen wearing his coat. His face showed concern and I couldn't blame him. Even I, myself felt concerned.

What would happen after this? Should I mourn? Lock myself in the bedroom? Do surgeries and pretend that Derek didn't die?

"Where are the forms?"

"Mer, you can take care of that later"

I opened the blanket that wrapped me with both of my weak arms and went down the bed one foot at a time. Owen ran outside the room, and went back with a wheelchair. He asked me to sit down, and I obliged. Who am I kidding? I wouldn't even make it out of this room. My head was still throbbing and my feet felt like its about to give up on me any second.

When we were outside the room, with Owen pushing the wheelchair, I felt all eyes on me. I even saw nurses whispering at each other, fingers pointed at me at the end of the hall. I glanced above me and saw Owen's sharp eyes watching everyone. "Cristina asked me to take care of you." I nodded in reply. I didn't know why he told me this.

"She asked me the same thing," I told Owen. "She asked me to keep you sane."

Then he stopped and crouched down, so he could be in the same level of me. "I'm sorry Meredith,"

So much for not thinking about Derek.

I didn't know where he was taking me, but it's nice to just see things. Owen kept on asking me about whether or not I needed anything. He offered me blankets, more pillows and even water. I've never seen him this worried about me. Its quite interesting actually, not mentioning new.

We went through the sliding door, and I smelt a breath of fresh air. He stood on the bench, with me beside him, sitting on a wheelchair. We sat there silently, eyes planted ahead of us. We didn't say a word for a few minutes, and I appreciated it. Well, that was until his pager beeped. "You should go, Owen."

"When...I saw you in the cafeteria and knew what happened, I called Cristina."

I turned my head and saw Owen's eyes flicker. I smiled towards his way, even though I knew that he wouldn't notice it. I knew that he still loved Cristina. But I still couldn't quite decipher what his point was. Despite that, I continued listening. "I knew I had to do something."

"That's...nice what you're doing Owen. But I'll be fine" I should be fine. There are a lot of greater things to look forward to in life. Well, certainly not kids. Not after the fact that I miscarried just a day before Derek's death. Damn it, he shouldn't have left. He must now be hovering up there, waiting for me to give birth to our kids. "Yeah, I'll be fine"

The sound of Owen's pager kept on going. And from his face, I knew that it's not something he could leave. "I have to go, I'm sorry Mer."

"Eventually you do," I knew that deep down, what I said was meant for Derek.