Chapter 22: Tokyo University

(Kazuto's POV)

My bus came to a stop with a whoosh sound of the brakes, and when I looked out the window I saw the front of the school. Trees were planted along the sides of a paved path that led to a plaza surrounded with hedges. From there it led to the entrance, which was streaming with students who rushed around to get to where they needed to be. I sighed as I stood up from my seat and stretched, grabbing my suitcase during the process. I wasn't the only one getting off, other people around my age also stood to exit the bus.

I still couldn't believe that I was already going off to college, that I was already 18. It was crazy to think about, but I also felt a feeling of loneliness and disappointment. I wanted to go to Kyoto, but my grades got me into Tokyo.

I rolled my suitcase down the aisle of the city bus, and departed from the vehicle. I thought about the day I received a reply to my application as I walked to the entrance of the school.

~7 months ago~

It was mid February, and the days were dragging on boringly and with little excitement. Everyone was sick of the cold weather, and studying hard for exams. I was driven home like usual, staring out of the car window at the plain browns and whites that covered the frozen earth.

When I got home, Mrs. Nanase greeted me warmly at the entrance. An excited look was evident on her face.

"Kazuto! Welcome back. I have something for you!" she said with grin, handing me an envelope. 

I took it, and wondered what the contents had to offer me inside. On the front it had my name written on it, and the words, The University of Kyoto, were printed as well.

Kyoto? Is this a reply to my application? I wondered. I looked up at Mrs. Nanase and she nodded, allowing me to open it. I ripped off the top to see what was inside. I pulled out a letter with my name on it.

My eyes widened as I read further.

Dear Kirigaya Kazuto,

We are sorry to inform you that your application has been declined. Your grades and report card do not meet our standards. You can find more information on our website, and If you have any questions please ask us there or mail a letter. Thank you for choosing our university!

                                                                                                                       --Director of Kyoto University

I immediately felt a surge of disappointment. After all of the time I put into my studies, all of the hours I spent inside my room, doing nothing but studying, I get rejected from the school I put so much effort into.

"So? Did you get in?" Mrs. Nanase asked eagerly.

I shook my head, frowning in disbelief. The smile on her face disappeared, and she looked at me with concern.

I handed her the letter, and she took it and gently read it over. When she was done she handed it back, and placed a hand on my shoulder, "Well, things don't always go our way, so we just have to accept it and be grateful for what we get."

I tried to take her advice and accept it, but I still felt disappointed with myself. I nodded, then walked quickly into the house and to my room. I slammed my door behind me, grabbing my phone to call Asuna. I pressed on her contact and hit the little phone symbol, which instantly dialed her number and called her.

She picked up and answered, "Hey, Kazuto-kun. What's up?"

"Hey, Asuna. I received a reply to my college application," I said into the phone, trying to sound happy.