Chapter 5: You're going away?

*Kirito's POV*

The one question remained in my head, what will happen? What will me and Suguha do if Aunt Midori dies? We can't sustain the house alone, plus it's technically illegal for me and her to be living here alone at our ages. The thought of living somewhere else hurt. The only other option was...no. We can't move in with them. I knew what would happen but just couldn't accept it. We would have to move in with Aki.

-at school-

I hardly picked at my food. I just didn't feel hungry. I had to have hope in my aunt, but in her condition? Something was just telling me something was terribly wrong.

"Oi Kazuto, what's wrong?" Lisbeth asked snapping me back into reality.

"This is one of your favorite lunches, are you okay Kazuto-san?" Silica asked worriedly.

"I...um yeah, I'm ok," I stuttered.

"Seriously, bro?" Klein said from the other side of the table "I've known you long enough to know when somethings up."

I looked at Sugu to see her trying not to tear up. Klein didn't know?

"Klein." Asuna said looking from me to him "Sugu's mom, Kirito's aunt is in the hospital. They're going through rough times right now."

"Oh. I'm sorry..." Klein said looking down.

"I-it's fine. You didn't know.." I said.

-at the end of school-

I grabbed my backpack and went to Sugu's locker. "You done?"

"Yeah...I guess," she said with a depressed look.

"It'll be okay, she'll be fine before we know it! Right?" I tried to cheer her up.

"I doubt it." Sugu flat out said.

"Oh come on. You need to have some faith!"

"How can I? You know as well as I do what the nurses said. It's a miracle she even survived, but it's unlikely she'll even live!" Sugu said now crying.

"You don't know how it is Kazuto!" Sugu carried on "She's my mom! But what is she to you? An aunt! You'll never know the pain I'm feeling! Never!" With that my cousin grabbed her bag and pushed her way past me. She stormed out to the commons crying.

"Wait...!" I could hardly yell. I knew exactly how it felt. My mom had died too, and my dad had left me. Except aunt Midori hasn't died yet.

Sugu's words had hit me harder than she probably intended, yet I couldn't get over what she had said. Never? Did she not remember what I've been through?

I just stood there at her locker expressionless. Sugu never outbursts at me, the last time was when she confessed to me. Sometimes I really can never understand her.

Eventually I snapped out of it and wiped my face, which was stained with tears. I started walking out when I heard a voice.

"Kirito?" A familiar voice questioned.

I turned around to see Asada (Sinon) behind me. She was sweating and was holding a water bottle.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Uhh...wait, what are you doing here?"

"My archery club just finished. Did something happen?" Sinon said walking towards me.

"Well...I guess..."

"Let me guess...Sugu?" She guessed awhile adjusting her glasses.

It surprised me how she knew it was about Sugu. "H-how did you know?"