Chapter 15: Two Different Perspectives

*Asuna's POV*

This can't be happening, I thought over and over. The scene played in my mind again, haunting me with the image of her lips on his. My heart felt like shattered glass, millions of pieces broken on the floor. 

My eyes were glued onto the car window, which had raindrops streaming down it. The window was like my face, except the raindrops were tears.

Depressing as it was, my maid drove as fast as she could. She kept glancing back, but I never returned the look. Guilt was drowned by pain, and pain fought alongside betrayal.

How could he break his promise to me? We were everything, and now apparently I was nothing to him. He ultimately broke my heart and betrayed me. A good word for it? Cheated. He cheated on me.

"Kirito..." I whispered, wiping my eyes. All those days of being stuck in SAO, fighting in battles, sacrificing for each other, loving each other...It was perfect. We went through so much just to stay together and survive, our promise to date in the real world. Then the time he saved me from the world of Alfheim, from the evil fairy king Sugou. Him going through GGO while I worried and had my eye on Sinon. Then ALO with Yuuki and our quests, it all led to the result of our relationship. That relationship was broken now, because of that girl.

How was she any better than me? Was she prettier? Nicer? How did he pick her over me? I cried over this, trying to come up with an answer. It's selfish of me, but I don't know what makes her so special.

"M-Miss Asuna, we're almost there. So you may want to consider being presentable for your dinner with your mother," Ai said with worry.

"Oh, um..yes, thank you.." I straightened up. I brushed my hand through my hair, and tugged at my clothes to refasten them. My face was flustered and tear stricken, but for the most part I looked okay. I replaced my frown with a fake smile, if I could muster one.

To be honest, it hurt to smile. But what didn't hurt in me? The smile just added to the pain.

When the scene behind the window changed to the entrance of my own mansion, I got out. It was still raining, even where I lived. Ai guided me to the entrance, and we scanned in. We entered in silence, not saying a word.

"Mistress Asuna, you're back! We were getting worried, and thought you got caught in the storm," One of our maids rushed over to me and placed a jacket over me shoulders. I gladly accepted it, since I was cold and wet.

"I-I was fine. Now I better hurry or mother will be mad at me for my tardiness," I smiled and quickly rushed to the dining hall.

When I got there my mother was sitting at the table, sipping on tea. She noticed me and sighed.

"You're late. And why are you all wet? Did you forget a raincoat?" She asked with a look of disappointment. 

"Yes, mother. I'm sorry for being late," I sat down in the chair across from her.

"How did the occasion with that boy go?" She asked as I sat.

"Mmm, fine.." I lied. I hated to lie to her, but I couldn't tell her about what had happened. It hurt to even think about it.

"That is good, but I still disapprove of your relationship. His status is much lower than you," Mother stated.

"He lives with a wealthy family now. And the mother of the family says that she knows you," I said trying to maintain my smile. This was getting hard.

"Oh? What is her name?" She asked.

"Do you recall anyone by the last name of Nanase? She didn't tell me her first name," I looked at my mom.