The Phone Call

Friday Night

Things with Brendon have been uneventful. I'm starting to feel like we rushed into things. Before Liz showed up, we were really close and we spent a lot of time together, and although it did feel like longer, Liz had been gone for less than two days when Brendon and I got together. Not to say that I don't like him, because I do, but we haven't had any time to be together. Every day Ryan has come over after school and gone home fairly late, and since Brendon and I haven't told anyone of what happened between us, we had to act completely normal. Tomorrow is going to be our first day completely alone together, and if I'm being honest, I am nervous. I lay awake staring at the ceiling playing every worse case scenario of tomorrow in my head until I fall asleep.

I awake at 9:30 and check my phone, then at 10:00 I get up and start making myself breakfast. I make an omelette and eat in the front room so I can watch TV. Brendon walks downstairs at 11:00 and walks into the kitchen. He comes out with a bowl of cereal in his hand and sits by me on the couch. His eyebrows are furrowed and he looks barely awake. "Morning, princess," I say as he eats his cereal. He makes a grunting sound in response. I laugh and turn my attention back to the television.

I notice that Brendon seems to be fixated on my hair for a few minutes. "What are you looking at?" I ask. "I think we should dye your hair again," he says, his voice gruff and still lingering with sleep. "What makes you say that?" I question. "I don't know, I just miss the pop of color. Maybe we can do purple?" He suggests, now with my head in his hands, investigating my hair. "I think I have some purple dye somewhere," I tell him. With that, he jumps up and starts walking upstairs. "Wait, did you mean right now?" I yell at him, still sitting on the couch. "Yes," he yells back. I roll my eyes and follow him up to my room.

We go into the bathroom and I get out the dye and bleach. "Have you ever dyed hair before?" I ask him. "Nope." He says, taking a seat on the edge of my bathtub. "Alright, well before we add the dye, we have to bleach my hair. You can help with the back." I tell him, mixing together the bleach powder with a level 40 developer.

Brendon does pretty good with the back of my head, I don't think he misses any spots. While we wait for the bleach to work, we go into Brendon's room. He plays a few songs on his guitar, which is nice to hear again. He's just finishing playing the song "island in the sun" when the alarm I set on my phone goes off notifying me that it's time to rinse my hair. Brendon helps me make sure that remaining bleach isn't left in my hair and then helps me blow dry it.

I start to mix two different shades of purple to get the color I want, and Brendon runs to his room to get his phone. I dip the brush into the color and start to raise it to my hair when Brendon walks into the room laughing. "Hey Ash, look at this hilarious --" he's cut off when I turn around to look at him, wiping my brush over his face in the process. I try to hold back a laugh but I'm unsuccessful. "Oops," I say. He has giant purple swipe that goes from his left cheek, over his mouth and nose, and then to his right cheek.

He steps around me and looks at his face in the mirror, then laughs. "Thanks," he says. I laugh again and step to his side so I can see in to mirror as well. Brendon leans over the sink and starts wiping his face, while I proceed to put dye in my hair.

"Damnit, Ashley this isn't coming off," he says, looking at me. I laugh again. The dye has left an extremely noticeable stain on his face that I don't expect will leave any time too soon. He gives up on trying to scrub off the stain, and instead helps me finish my hair. When the purple dye is evenly coated throughout my hair, I put on a shower cap and set a timer for 6 hours. It's twelve thirty now, so we walk downstairs to go and order a pizza for lunch.

When the pizza arrives, Brendon grabs it and is halfway done with his first slice when he gets back to the kitchen. "I've said it once, I'll say it again. You're skinny fat." I tell him. He looks confused for a second, and then starts laughing as he remembers what I'm referencing.

When we finish our pizza, we put on a movie to kill time. I snuggle up next to Brendon as the movie progresses. I try to pay attention, but I'm focused on other things...

I really want to kiss Brendon, but I'm nervous he'll reject me. I know that's probably silly, since he technically is my 'boyfriend,' but we haven't done anything other than friends would do since we announced that. Instead I decide to grab ahold of his hand. He looks down at me and smiles, and I smile back. He leans forward and plants his lips on mine, which feels incredibly natural. I settle back into him and rub my thumb in circles on his hand. I could get used to this, I think.

We stay like this, watching movies but more just noticing each other, until my alarm goes off. I go upstairs and take a shower to rinse out the dye, and then change into my pajamas. I walk back downstairs slowly and do a hair flip to showcase my lavender locks. "Wow, I like it," Brendon says, admiring the color.

I'm about to say thanks, but I'm interrupted by the ring of my phone. I roll my eyes and answer it. "Hello?"

The next thing I hear makes the world seem to move in slow motion, and the last thing I see is my phone fall out of my hands before my knees crash to the ground and let out a scream.