Chapter 1: Meet Tara

Water strode down his cheeks. I didn't understand why, what with me being exceptionally different from others around me, I did not understand why this was happening. The water fell from his eyes in crescent shapes as they slid down his perfect cheek bones. This was extremely disturbing and unusual to me, even though it was safe to say I was anything but normal.

I must have been stood there staring at this stranger for at least ten minutes, for he had turned his watery gaze to focus on me, as I stood, my eyes fixated on the the rain coming from his eyes. I could see he was as uncomfortable as I was so I quickly looked away, pretending nothing had ever happened. 

I was an outcast, an unusual species, you could say. I was alone for most of my life, my parents left me, stranded in a box until someone found me. I learn't quickly how to behave and could speak full sentences, paragraphs even, before the age of 2. I seemed to be taller, slimmer and almost prettier than the others around me. This I never really understood why. I had slightly paler skin also. At one point I read a novel and considered my self a vampire, but that was certainly not me. Although I did have incredible strength and speed, I found I had more than that as I grew older. I was able to stretch my arms and legs out further than normal, I could see far distances and hear exceptionally well and I could sometimes reach into peoples minds and hear their thoughts and emotions, and I could learn anything in a matter of minutes and never forget it. And most importantly, I could shape shift.

Anything around me, everything, I could become in a matter of seconds, whether an animal or an inanimate object. The only thing I could not change to was humans. This I never understood why, but I did not much care as I would hate to disrupt the life around me. 

I looked away from the wet, red eyes of the male and began to walk away, not making eye contact again. I then began to run and before I knew it the world around me was a blur, I was slipping silently and quickly through the crowd, so fast I was not able to be seen, and yet I never made one disturbance in doing this. I was very proud of that.

Next thing I knew I was at the place I call home. It never took me long to get there. And once I was there I could relax and never even have to worry about someone seeing me. I guess I should say that I live up in the mountains, in the Himalayas. It's a divine condo house with gorgeous views right the way around. Sometimes I jump off the balcony and balance myself onto the watery product of a cloud. It holds my weight easily enough and I float with the clouds until it bores me. The life is great up there but incredibly boring. I sometimes wonder if I am the only one of my species. What if I am? I know I have a life span of well, forever. Will I be alone for the rest of my life?

I did some research on how people like me arrived in this world. Hit by a magic meteor? Bitten by a vampire? Bitten by a weird spider? The result of a messed up science experiment? This did not add up to me, I mean if I was hit by a meteor, I think I'd remember it. Bitten by a spider? That's crazy talk, no spider could ever make me this. A vampire? No, no, no, I don't have the urge to suck human blood every five minutes. And the product of a messed up science experiment? No chance, I'm not some weird Frankenstein or human-cockroach. I can't find anything, it's useless. The only way to find something that makes sense, is to look for others of my kind.