Chapter 5

I honestly thought it would be Anna. Nope. Instead, it was her...dad? He looked young enough to be her dad and old enough to be her grandfather. I debated whether or not I should ask. I decided no. Snapping out of my train of thought, I focused back on the man. He had on cackis and a red flannel shirt. His hair was a platinum gray. I got up from the table and joined they're conversation.
"Yes, Anna's going to Elmwood too," the man said.
He looked at me and cracked a smile.
"You must be Ricky," he said sweetly.
"Oui...I mean yes," I replied.
I was still in my French mode.
My grandpa looked at the man.
"Ricky, this is James," Grandpa Alfred said, not looking at me at all.
I felt uneasy. Grandpa Alfred always looked at the person he was talking to. The man called James looked apologetic.
"I'm sorry about Anna," he apologized.
I looked down and motioned for Grandpa Alfred to leave. He took the hint and returned to the table. I looked up so my eyes met James's.
"What's wrong with her?" I asked.
I knew it wasn't the best thing to say to a person you just met, but I was curious. James's face fell.
"Schizophrenia," he answered.
I solemnly nodded and sighed.
"I'm sorry. Can you leave now?" I gestured out the door.
James nodded and walked back across the street. I shut the door and stared at my cereal, unable to eat. Grandma Anne looked worried.
"Ricky? Ca'va?" she asked.
I looked at her.
"Terrible. You know why? I just concluded my worst fear. To have a schizofreak as a neighbor," I replied while getting up from the table.
Storming up the stairs, I fumed.
"Today's gonna be interesting," I thought aloud. And it was.
------------------------------------------------------
A/N: I feel accomplished. And I bet you feel sort of disappointed. Yes, I did refrence Lester for James, but no, I couldn't make James be Lester for multiple reasons. 1) Lester's time period is in the older times while this time period is the present. 2) Lester had two kids and James only has Anna. So that's why I couldn't make them the same. Hope you understand. See ya in the next part.