Chapter 8

"I'm very sorry about yesterday," you bow, nervously eyeing the doctor standing in front of you. She's the only one on the third floor today, and it goes with your luck that you'd run into the doctor Kuzuryuu had yelled at.

She shifts her weight onto her left foot, crossing her arms, and you raise your head slightly. She doesn't look angry - she's... smiling at you? "It's alright, Hinata-san. I understand the situation completely. It was I who acted out of order; I should not have suggested that you and your friends leave."

You're a little surprised at the honorific, but you don't ask. Standing up straight, you give her an apologetic look. "Even so, we really appreciate the fact that you're here, and we weren't trying to seem ungrateful..."

"Think nothing more of it. I would not mind being shouted at a thousand times a day, as long as I would be allowed to remain here." She extends her hand to you. "Now, to finally introduce myself. My name is Taeko Shishido, and I look forward to working with you, Hajime Hinata-san."

You grip her hand firmly, your eyes widening in surprise. "N-Nice to meet you, Shishido-san... Um, excuse me, but why would you endure something like that just to stay here?"

She grimaces. "Things back home are - how should I put it? - not going very well. It's more than I could have hoped to ask for, getting to stay on a beautiful island with breathable air and good people. I can go to sleep without fear here."

You let go of her hand, trying to mask the guilt that suddenly threatens to drown you. "I see..."

She steps back, giving you enough space to enter the room. "Well, come in! I'm sure you came here to see your friends, not to have a chat with me."

You move past her awkwardly, walking over to the first bed you see. After pulling a chair over and sitting next to Pekoyama, you glance over at Shishido. You can't really tell what she's doing exactly, but she seems to be tending to Ibuki. It's odd, considering how formal she was earlier, but she gives off a really mother-y vibe. Come to think of it, with her long black hair and striking green eyes, she even looks like my mother. Huh.

She turns to you. "Can I do anything for you, Hinata-san?"

You realize you were staring. "Oh, no, sorry. I was just lost in thought, I guess."

"Alright." She turns to her work, and you focus your attention on Pekoyama. She looks so peaceful, almost like a doll. You're used to seeing her with braids and glasses, but currently her hair is down and, of course, she's not wearing glasses. After all, she didn't exactly need them right now. You notice that she's wearing a bracelet, though, and you're surprised - it's a chain of fresh flowers. Obviously someone must have created it themselves, and when you look around you determine that Pekoyama's the only person wearing one. This is totally something Sonia would do. I guess I'll ask her later why she only made one for Pekoyama, though. Maybe she's making them for everyone but she can only do them one day at a time? Well, whatever.

Shishido addresses you once again, making you jump. "Hinata-san, if you wish to speak to her alone, I don't mind leaving - oh, forgive me, I didn't intend to startle you."

"N-No, it's okay." You sigh in exasperation. "I'm just so damn jumpy today. Just wait, I'm gonna end up startling myself."

She laughs good-naturedly. "I'm sure I've done that before, too. Anyway, like I was saying, I can leave if you wish - "

"Oh, no, it's fine." You pause. "I might actually want to talk to you, though."

"Is that so?" She walks over, leaning slightly on Pekoyama's bed. "What is it you wish to discuss, then?"