Chapter 15

There are some days where the group can enjoy themselves, can put aside some of their problems and worries to experience joy and love.

There are some days where they can focus on their potential future and make peace with the plights of today.

There are some days like that, yes.

But today is not one of those days.

Fourteen former students, five Future Foundation members, and two doctors have gathered in Jabberwock Park and wait solemnly, all eyes on the lone fifteenth former student standing behind the podium in front of them. They watch as he slowly unfolds a crinkled piece of paper. Not one of them makes a sound.

He clears his throat.

"All of us have united here to say goodbye to a dear friend." Hajime Hinata begins his speech with his eyes downcast and his shaking hands by his sides.

"This is probably the most surreal thing that I've ever experienced. I was devastated when she was killed after her trial, but then I was given hope. Hope that she may not be gone forever, that there was still some way I could speak to her again... To live on with her by my side, in a sense. We were all hopeful that we could save her." He bites his lip and pauses, suddenly unsure if he will be able to do this. Everyone can hear Sonia openly sobbing now, and at least three of the others have started sniffling.

Hinata feels his throat begin to close up, but pushes on. "It's... Overwhelmingly hard to accept that she's gone for good. I wanted to see her smile one last time. I wanted to tell her I was so, so thankful for what she did for me. I wanted – " his voice cracks – "I wanted to see her again."

He doesn't look at Souda, who's wiping his eyes furiously, or Ibuki, who's covered her face with her hands. He doesn't look at Kuzuryuu's clenched fists. He doesn't look at Saionji's obnoxiously colored handkerchief, Tanaka's scarf-covered head, or Pekoyama's trembling lips. He can't. He knows he would lose it if he did.

"We are all truly devastated by this loss. Nanami is... w-was one of the best friends we've ever had. She was childish, and stubborn, and extremely strange at times," he tries to smile. "But she was kind... and quirky... and incredibly smart, and gifted, and I could go on forever about how incredible she was. I know I'm... I know I'm not alone in feeling as though I've lost a part of myself. Still... I'm going to appreciate that we have today... that we are allowed to grieve for our friend."

He takes a shaky breath before continuing. "Nanami isn't gone completely, though. She will always have a place... in our memories... a-and in our hearts... And I know..." His throat closes up. "I know we can share what we have of her. I know that we can tell stories about her... and look back on the time we spent together, a-and try to do right by her..." He closes his eyes, his face crumpling for a moment as hot tears start on a slow path down his cheeks. "And by doing that, w-we won't ever truly lose h-her."

A sob is heard before he breathes out a broken "Thank you".

The ceremony ends.

"FUCK this!"

A week after Nanami's funeral, Akane Owari punches a nearby palm tree and screams at the sky. "I'm NOT dealing with this shit again, Sonia! I can't!"

Currently, she's at the beach with Sonia, trying to figure out to do about Naegi's declaration that she would not be leaving the island anytime soon. And now after several shot-down ideas and two rants, she's finally had it.

"Wait!" Sonia grabs her wrist as Owari moves to storm off. "Akane, listen! You heard what Naegi said, there is nothing we can do – "

"Bullshit!" She seethes. "I don't know what's going on out there, but for all I know, they could be in danger right now, and I'm the only one who can save them!"