Chapter 14

Naegi Makoto steps onto the boardwalk and heaves a small sigh, then smiles over his shoulder at his companions. "It's good to be back, right?"

Byakuya Togami does not seem to share in his excitement, if the look of disdain he directs towards the island is any indication. "No. I dislike the ocean, it is too hot here, and I did not enjoy being dragged away from my other projects to check on these... imbeciles."

"Don't be such a stick in the mud." Asahina rolls her eyes as she steps down next to Naegi. "Personally, I'm fired up to be working under Naegi here!"

"It'll be the five of us again, Tomagi-chi!" Hagakure moves to sling an arm across Togami's shoulder, but does not anticipate Togami dodging him and ends up falling face first onto the boardwalk. "Owww.."

"Hey, I see Kirigiri!" Naegi waves and starts to run down the boardwalk. "Hiiiiiiiiiii!"

Asahina clicks her tongue as she helps Hagakure to his feet. "Who just yells 'hi'? For heaven's sake..."

Naegi skids to a stop in front of his friend and gives her a huge smile. "We're here!"

"I noticed." She smiles, but is quick to get serious. "I've just finished speaking with Souda."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Naegi-kun, you got here just in time."

The girl sitting in the corner of the restaurant is currently the subject of many strange looks and concerned whispers. This is because, despite her large appetite and the extremely large platter of food in front of her, she has yet to take a single bite.

Owari has more important things to focus on than food.

This isn't really like me. She frowns and stares down at her hands. But I've stalled too long already. I have to decide!

Owari had realized finally what was missing right now, what hadn't been taken care of. The one thing she would always take seriously... at least, that's how it had been before coming to Kibougamine. Now, there were too many things to take seriously, and she felt weighed down by all of them. It was becoming almost too much...

No. Stop. She pinches her wrist. Don't start this again. She had learned through Hinata that being "strong" and "weak" were more complicated than she thought, but she still hated the thought of displaying her own weakness. She couldn't be the smart one, or the gentle one... But she could be the strong one, the resourceful one, the risky one. That's what she'd told herself before, anyway...

But regardless of whether she's truly strong or actually weak, there's something she has to do.

Owari makes her way over to her closest friend and grabs her hand. "Hey, Sonia... let's talk somewhere, okay?"

Alright... what's going on?" Sonia follows Owari out of the room. "Akane? What's wrong?"

"Sonia." Owari firmly looks into her eyes. "I have to leave the island."

A dark room with a greenish tint, silent but for the sound of your meticulous typing. This is where you find yourself, in the process of carrying out such unfamiliar actions. For quite some time you continue on like this, focusing intently on the task at hand instead of acknowledging the eyes that are on you. If they want to spy on you over their painfully conspicuous cameras, so be it. It is of no concern of yours.