Fresh Start Fever

Traffic moves in, the roads coming to a grinding halt, I stare out the window, the rain splatters on it, running down in front of me. Tears still break out, leaving me silently sobbing, head pressed against the window, the rest of the time i just feel numb, hollow, nauseous. Alex regularly glanes in my direction, checking up on me despite the few inches between us. I can tell he's anxious about what has happened and desperate to know the details. His fingers tap rythmically, impaitently against the dashboard as the traffic begins to subside. Alex's phone buzzes on the dashboard, again. Alex he looks at it before throwing it in the back of the car, his shoulders are hunched up and his face screws into a frown, his knuckles tightening around the wheel, clearly growing angrier. He swerves into a side road and towards a truck stop. it's now nearing 4am due to traffic, most people will still be at the party. 

Alex unbuckles his seat belt and looks towards me as I stretch my legs out. He unbuckles my seat belt and pulls me towards him, holding me close. I begin to cry once again, sobbing into his shirt, clutching on to it, not wanting to let go.

"I will kill him. How could he hurt you like this?" Alex says, resting his chin on the top of my head. I gasp through the sobs, trying to reply. 

"He...Cheated...on...me" I sob out, Alex's body immediatey tenses up, his hold tighter around me. I move away from him and try to wipe my eyes, I repeat word for word the sound message I was sent, unable to block it from my memory, I left my phone on he floor of the bus so I can't play it.

His expression gets angrier and angrier as he listens to me explain what happened today. He puts his hands on the top of his head and just stares out of the window, calming himself down. I simply look out, watching everyone go past. His phone suddenly rings, he picks it up and answers immdeiately.

"Hi." He barks out, the reply manages to make his body language relax more, his grip on the phone loosening and his expression changing, "Yeah i'm with her now, taking her to the airport, lets keep it between us, i don't think anyone else needs to get involved..." 

He then gets out of the car, and leans against the door, his conversation less audible to me, but still loud enough. I lean my head back against the head rest, closing my eyes to make it look as if i'm not listening. 

"He has? Yeah...Well he cheated on her...and said some other shit...yeah i know...Don't do that, it won't help...Actually, could you get her case? Okay that would be great , I don't know, i have a half a mind to hop on a plane with her...she's torn up, i've never seen her like this since...Well, since Jenna died...Okay yeah let me know, Bye Zack." 

A knock on the window quickly follows his goodbye. I open one eye and he puts his head round the door. 

"I know you heard all that, you were never good at pretending to be asleep," He tries to joke, mustering up a small smile, I nod in recognition, "Zack and jack were wondering how you were, do you want to go get some food?" He asks, I just shake my head and close my eyes again, he closes the door and walks towards the main building. 

......................

"Jess" Alex says all of a sudden, I open my eyes and we're in a parking lot in front of the airport, "we're here." I nod, unbuckling my seatbelt and step out of the car, grabbing my bag at the same time. Alex steps out and walks with me into the terminal. I look at the board to decide on my destination. 

" Paris" I say, nodding. Alex nods too, understanding my reasons why I would choose France.

"Are you sure about this?" He asks, knowing there's nothing that will change my mind, I just Nod slowly, hugging him for a long time, he strokes my hair and pulls away. 

"If I had my passport with you I would be hoping straight on that plane and coming with you, you know that." He tells me before going over as i buy my ticket, One last farewell and I pass through security.