Chapter # 18

Ahad came to pick Kanwal up earlier than he said. With teary eyes, she said farewell to her family. Still, within this short amount of time in the house, she managed to contact Maaz, he rushed over there to meet her. He also assured her that he had already found a suitable place for her family and his mother had had also managed to convince them. Hearing this from Maaz, Kanwal's nerves relaxed a bit, but the thought that she might not be able to see her family in the future saddened her.

Before getting into the car, Kanwal thought of asking Ahad to let her stay for a night. But watching him glaring at Maaz who went out to see her off, Kanwal kept her thoughts to herself and silently leave.

"Why was your cousin  there?" Asked while driving home.

"He came to visit."

Ahad glanced at Kanwal for a brief moment before saying, "He came to visit because you asked him to."

"I didn't." Kanwal's heart skipped a beat and she abruptly denied.

"Calling your cousin to come to meet instead of your best friend who put herself into trouble only to know how you are doing...what a great friend you are." Ahad said with a serious face.

"What do you mean?"

"Mahnoor asked me to let you meet your family." He deliberately skipped the Moosa's call part.

"When did you meet her?" Kanwal's eyes widened, as the blurred image from her dream flashed in her mind. Ahad glanced at her but didn't answer.

"Ahad, where did you meet her?" She inquired again, still, he didn't answer.

"Ahad...." She called his name, sounding worried. Yet again, he didn't answer and speed up the car, giving her the hint to 'shut up'. And she took the hint.

~*~

Lying on the bed next to Ahad, Kanwal was staring at him for quite some time, while Ahad was busy, or pretending to be busy watching a movie on his laptop beside her. His eyes may be focusing on the laptop screen and his ears couldn't hear any sound because of the headphone, but it wasn't like Ahad was unaware of the gaze focused on him, he just chose to ignore it. Though, his hands itch to touch Kanwal's hair, which spread all over her pillow. He was also aware of the reason of her attention on him and a part of him wanted to take advantage of that, yet he held himself back from the temptation of her expectant eyes, calling him over and over again for answers.

Ahad felt movement in Kanwal's body and the next moment, a light tug is felt on his arm. He turned his face toward his wife.

"What is it?" Ahad asked, taking off his headphones.

"Please tell me, where did you meet Mano?" She asked with pleading eyes, hoping that he might answer her properly. But once again, he didn't speak but stared back at her with calculating eyes.

There was a time when Kanwal loved those eyes, but now she is afraid to look into them. They have changed over time, from mischievous smiles to sharp, intense gaze. That could be seen through the deepest core of her soul and manipulate her own emotions and thoughts against her.

She is afraid that he would manage to bring out the old Kanwal from her, who was deeply in love with him. She is afraid of facing and accepting herself.

"I don't understand you. You have already talked to Mahnoor, then why do you keep asking this question?"

"I just want to know."

"Know what?"

"Of where you met her."

"I obviously didn't go to her house."