Chapter # 29

"What are you doing here?" Asked Moosa giving Kanwal a calculating look.

"I- I was looking for Ahad." She stuttered thinking that lying to him could be unfavourable for her.

"He is not in the house."

"Oh! Yes... right. I forgot." She forced a smile and turn to go back into the room.

"How much you have heard?"

She gulped and turned to him again, "Probably everything..."

~*~

Truth loses its worth when you want to cling to lie...

Kanwal cant shook off the words Moosa said to her. On the surface, those words were directed to Mahnoor but she felt being wrapped up with her, or perhaps it was her own sub-consciousness making her feel it. Because she was the one who was and still clinging on to the idea that Ahad is lying, even after being told by him that she should believe what he says.

As promised, Ahad came to pick Kanwal right after thirty minutes. After reaching home, he changed his clothes and went to bed. Both of them hadn't talked to each other properly since yesterday, in fact, Ahad barely spoke a few sentences to her. His silence was bothering Kanwal but her ego wasn't allowing her to make the first move. It was another thing that she keeps fighting a battle within her after realizing that she wants Ahad's attention and quite like it when he approaches her.

'I can't sleep.' Kanwal mumbled opening her eyes and turned to face Ahad. The sight of his sleeping face always mesmerizes Kanwal. She reached out her hand and touched his cheeks.

Why are you pulling me to you???

It is driving me crazy...

She thought gazing at him, then slowly turn away and get off of the bed. Sleep was miles away from her eyes and she didn't want to question her sanity on staring Ahad continuously. Her feelings are confused already and being near him wouldn't help her with anything.

Leaving the room Kanwal directly went to the living room and sat down in an armchair. The silent of the night was relaxing, staring out the window she recalls the day when she met Arsalan's mother for the first time and their meetings after it. Slowly, sleep start to take over her.

I wonder if Arsalan is happy to be with his mother???

She wanted to believe that he was happy because she had witnessed his mother in agony. Silently weeping all day long. Watching a mother in this state was not less than torture for a kind heart person like Kanwal. She liked her company, her concerns for Ahad and all the small talks they had about how to handle a husband. She found a glimpse of her mother in her and somewhere deep inside, she was sad too on losing a mother-like figure.

Auntie, are you happy to be with your son???

In the state of half asleep, this thought popped up into her mind and everything went blank.

"Your back will start hurting." A voice with a soft touch on the head made Kanwal open her eyes and she saw Ahad standing before her.

"Get up, I have made tea." He said picking a cup from the table.

Kanwal quickly strengthened herself and asked, "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You were in deep sleep." He handed over the cup to her.

"Wait." When he was about to leave Kanwal held his hand. 

"I need to talk to you?"

"About?"