22

The fourth part of High School AU

Happy Valentine's Day

***

Taylor took a tentative step into the school's soccer field. She scanned the crowd, looking for her friends. Despite her initial shock of Taylor's sudden interest in sport-related activities, Abigail had agreed to accompany her to the game. Unlike her bookish friend, watching football game wasn't a strange activity for Abigail. She pressed Taylor for her motive behind going to the game, but Taylor kept her lid sealed. It wasn't like she could say to her best friend that she wanted to go to watch Karlie. She was supposed to despise that arrogant girl. Except she wasn't.

"Hey, Taylor! Over here!"

Taylor released a relieved sigh when she found Abigail waving at her from the third seat to her left. She scaled the tribune stair to meet her friends. Abigail was there with some other girls from their group. She took a seat beside Abigail, who handed her a bag of chips.

"So, who are our opponent?"

Abigail stared at her in disbelief. "Really? You don't even know who we're going against?"

Taylor just shrugged, popping chips into her mouth. Abigail shook her head and laughed.

"You really don't care about this stuff, huh?" Then Abigail smirked at her. "If it isn't about the game, then it must be about someone!"

Taylor almost choked on her chips when Abigail's guess was spot on. "Of course no! Considering this is our last year in high school, I want to know what this is about."

Abigail still looked at her like she didn't believe her. But she didn't say anything and moved her gaze onto the field. Taylor followed her, trying to spot a tall blond head from her seat. It wasn't that hard to find Karlie, who was passing a ball around with her teammates. Taylor was glad that Abigail chose the front seat. She could see Karlie's intense face from here, which had transformed her entirely. Her game face, combined with this wet look from perspiration made her looked sexy as hell. Taylor grinned at herself as she leaned back to her seat. Maybe the game wouldn't be so boring after all, she thought.

After a while, the team stopped their warming up routine and went to the bench for drink. Taylor followed Karlie with her eyes, appreciating the exposed toned legs of Karlie's. As if she could sense Taylor's gaze, Karlie looked at the crowd. She managed to find Taylor among the crowd and beamed instantly. Karlie waved at her, which Taylor responded with a shy wave of her hand. Karlie motioned at her to come down. The shared interaction between the girls didn't go unnoticed by Abigail. She raised an eyebrow, visibly surprised that her friend was blushing when the school's troublemaker noticed her. Also there was that stupid grin on her friend's face. It couldn't get any blatant than that.

"I think your friend want you to meet her, Tay."

Taylor's cheek went crimson at that comment. She muttered some weak reason before she got up and descended the stairs. Karlie walked at her with a smug smile on her face, like she had already won the game.

"Hey, you came."

"Well," Taylor shrugged nonchalantly. "I did promise you."

"Thank you for coming, princess."

Karlie's voice was so gentle, it made Taylor blushed again. Taylor looked around the field for some distractions. Then she uttered anything that came up in her mind.

"Where's the cheerleaders?"

Karlie threw her head back in laughter, finding Taylor's lack of knowledge about sport really cute.