Chapter 9: Who Am I?

A Few Weeks Later

"Allow me to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Beyoncé recited with the rest of the group.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow." Megan said.

Beyoncé nodded and left the room. While walking to her room she saw Shawn walking towards her smiling.

"Okay, what you smiling for?" Beyoncé asked him curiously.

"We going outside today." He said.

"Outside where?" She asked. "You've already taken me to the gym, you started me on yoga in the mornings."

"Okay, fine. Miss the movie." He said shrugging walking past her.

"Wait, movie?"

"Yes, I got permission for us to leave for the afternoon. You in?"

Beyoncé smiled and looked down at her outfit.

"You look fine." Shawn said.

"Okay, let me get my wallet."

"No, it's on me. Let's go." He said with his hand out.

Beyoncé smiled and grabbed his hand as they left out. It had been weeks since Beyoncé had done anything that seemed normal to her.

They got in the car and drove off.

"I hope this isn't your plan of trying to get me to go out with you." Beyoncé said as Shawn drove.

"Damn, you figured out the plan." He said and then started laughing. "How are your girls doing?"

"They're doing good." She said smiling.

"You know you can invite some of your friends up if you'd like. I mean, it's been almost two months. I know you miss them." Shawn said glancing at her.

"I do. They can come up and visit?"

"I don't see why not. You've made some good progress. You can spend the afternoon with them if that's what you want to do."

Beyoncé smiled and nodded.

"So what movie are we going to see?"

"You just wait and see." Shawn said as he continued driving.

***

"This was a bad idea Kadence." Mya said as they walked through the mall.

"How?"

"I've already got in trouble once for skipping school. If we get caught-"

"We're not gonna get caught. We're not even near school. Would you just relax." Kadence said.

"Fine but let's at least get something to eat I'm starving." Mya said as they walked to the food court.

They grabbed some Panda Express and sat down to eat. Mya finally loosened up as they finished and they window shopped through the mall. They grabbed a cinnamon bun from Cinnabon before heading out to the bus stop.

"See, today wasn't that bad." Kadence said.

"You right." Mya said nodding and looked up.

She dropped her cinnamon bun and flew behind the mall directory sign. Kadence watched in confusion wondering what her cousin was doing.

"Kadence!" She heard her name being called. She looked around and was shocked at her aunt walking up with this guy she didn't know.

"Auntie, what are you doing here?"