Chapter XIV

Many of the Demons and shadows start closing in on the four defenders.

"Ideas? Someone?"

"Here's one Jason: fight!" Marci brandishes her blades at the approaching menaces.

"Sounds good to me!" Randolph raises his fists, bloody gauntlets and all.

"I'm down!" Carmen does a test swing of his axe, grinning like a maniac.

Jason summons his mini scythes. "Then let's do this."

All of them charge at once, throwing the much larger force off guard. Nonetheless, many of the enemies are able to raise shields just in time.

Randolph punches a hole through one of said shields.

The four servants of good battle against the large demonic force for a while. Screams sound, heads roll, and chests bleed profusely.
Jason and his friends seem to have the upper hand. They've already killed a baker's dozen of evil beings, and more are on their way.

After throwing his fire around a bit, Jason realizes something. The shadow beings are not Demons, as the fire actually does cause them harm.

The tip of a sword grazes Jason's cheek, cutting him. Carmen gets a rock chucked at his family jewels when he isn't looking. Marci and Randolph get punched frequently.

Jason runs over to his best friend to give cover while the Hispanic boy recovers.

The Dark Angel infantrymen on the opposite side of the fight hold the invaders at bay, even pushing forward ever so slowly.

Once Carmen is over his excruciating pain, Jason takes back the spot he had left behind.

The battle wages much like that for the next several minutes. Then, Marci shouts to Jason.

"Jason, try to close the portal, we'll cover you!"

The blonde peals away from the fighting and hurries to the portal.

Ok, how am I supposed to do this?

He looks down at his hands and has an idea. With his right arm, he throws a scythe at the side of the portal and pulls at the last minute.

It indeed hooks on, so Jason repeats with the other side. Next, he begins to pull with all of his Dark Angel might.

The portal doesn't want to shut.

Jason keeps pulling, hoping for an effect. He can hear the sound of war behind him, and knows he can't risk turning to look.

Finally, the portal starts to budge, but just barely. It moves centimeters at a time.

The blonde teen pulls even harder, straining blood vessels with the intensity of it.

The grand rip closes a little fasrer, much to Jason's delight.

Hell yeah! C'mon damn it!

As he pulls, he can feel his body getting more and more tired. This only makes Jason strain harder, not wanting to give up. The portal is almost halfway closed when the edges of his vision start going black.

No, I have to finish this!

The boy pulls even harder, his muscles screaming and begging for him to stop. It's almost three fourths of the way done.

"Come on Jason! You can do this. You can trap these bastards here, with no escape!"

Carmen's words push Jason to finish closing it. Just before closing, however, many things happen in an instant.

Jason hears Marci scream his name, a stray arrow thwacks into the boy's back, and the portal snaps shut. The blonde hits the ground on his back, snapping the arrow in half while jamming the rest all the way into him.

Marci, Randolph, and Carmen are being pushed back.

Suddenly, a loud crack is heard, going right through the sound barrier. Jason struggles to turn his head, and sees a very familiar Old Demon wielding a whip and barraging Demons with it.

That son of a bitch.