Chapter XVI

Together, with Jason, Carmen, Marci, Randolph, and Balthazar on one side of the invaders, and the local militia on the other, all of the Demons and Shades are slain.

Carmen, breathing heavily and sweating like a pig, mutters just loud enough for the group to here. "Well, that wasn't so hard, now was it?"

All but Balthazar laugh at that. "This is why I hate Angels." The Old Demon starts walking away.

"Hey! Where are you going?"

"My job here is done, Beastmaster. No reason for me to stay. And you'd best watch your back, young Dark Angel." With that, he spreads his great wings and soars away.

Jason watches for a bit as Balthazar flies. "What's his problem."

The Irishman nods in the general direction of what's now just a small, black dot in the gray sky. "Him? He's an Old Demon. They're practically extinct. Think he may be the last one alive. Plus, you did kill him that one time."

"Yeah, guess you're right. What is an 'Old' Demon, anyways? Like  I'm pretty sure my grandma and I weren't two different species. Right?"

"Well, that's not quite how it is, lad. An Old Demon is a member of a race of Demons older than Satan. They were also a lot more powerful than New Demons. However, when Satan and his followers were cast down to Hell, they outnumbered the Old Demons. Eventually, most Old Demons were killed of, aside from those that were either stealthy or powerful enough."

The group flies to the Gallery to see Professor Jenkins. When they arrived outside of the building, The man was already standing outside the grand doors. "Hello, friends! I watched you fighting off the invaders, and I must say, I'm impressed! Especially when you closed that rift to the Shadowland!"

Marci looks dumbfounded. "The Shadowland!? You must be mistaken, Professor. You've told me yourself that nothing can live in that place!"

The Beastmaster shrugged. "Well, we do seem to achieve the impossible every day, and the Professor says it's true, so..."