Chapter III

"Oh, shi-"

BOOOOM!!!

A meteor crashes down right in the middle of the school.

.    .    .

Jason dreams.

Well, he more remembers than dreams.

First, he dreams of this morning:

He wakes up from a turbulent sleep, plagued by memories and regrets of the past.

He gets up out of his bed and hits his alarm clock, making it turn off.

Wish I could sleep in longer than 5:30.

Jason throws his bed together and his clothes on, excitedly. Today is the day he's gonna finally grow the balls to ask a girl out.

Kara is a year younger than him, but he doesn't really care; she's the love of his life, however short it has been. She's shorter than him with long, blonde hair. She has the best personality and sense of humor, in his eyes.

Just as he's putting his first shoe on, his alarm goes of again.

"Shit!" As he yells his choice of profanity, Jason also chucks the shoe in his hand at the clock, shattering it to pieces. "Oh, good lord. Grandma is going to be so pissed. That's the third one this month. Why have I been so jumpy lately?"

As he grabs his shoe and starts to put it on again, he ponders said question.

Well, every time I've gotten like this, it's always felt like something, or someone, dark, powerful, and mysterious is watching me. Someone must be slipping some drugs into my food. Ha ha, must be Carmen. Jason gets a kick out of his last remark.

He finishes getting his shoes on, combs his hair, brushes his teeth, etc. His grandmother then gets up, and he leaves, ending the memory-dream.

Next, he dreams of an odd fantasy interaction between some... shadow dude and a demon.

And finally, he dreams of his father, a really touchy subject for him.

Oh no, not this day again! Wait, how do I know I'm dreaming? Meh, screw it.

He's in a break room in the hospital, with his grandma, aunt, and uncle. His father is in a hospital bed in a room down the hall, completely out of it. The air about the room is a dismal one, to say the least.

They all know that Daniel isn't going to make it, but none want to say anything, for fear of the others hating them.

However, Jason makes a mistake, possibly the largest one of his life: He asks what they will do if his father doesn't make it.

His grandma yells at him, and everyone in the room starts crying, including Jason himself.

He then shields his face with his hand so he can't look, or be looked at by, anyone.

Not even fifteen minutes later, the pastor comes in the room with his hands folded behind his back and his head down. Jason already knew the words that would come out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

At that exact moment, a large chunk of Jason's heart is ripped out, never to return again.

.    .    .

Finally, Jason wakes up from his brief slumber.

At the first thing he sees, he highly doubts that.

About thirty feet in front of him, there stands a demon.

And on the back of said demon, clings an angel, trying desperately to drive a knife into his back.

"Hmm... well, shit. I knew today was going to be special, but I sure didn't expect this."

Then, Jason sees something that drives a knife into his heart.

He sees one of his best friends, John Starkhen, laying just outside the crater caused by the immortals crashing into the ground.

And the worst part is, there's a large metal pole sticking through his stomach and blood seeping out from both the hole in his stomach and his mouth.

There are many people laying dead around the carnage caused by the rough landing. Jason doesn't know any of them, except for the security guard laying next to John. He had known the guard for three years, since he was in the seventh grade.

There are also many who are injured, but at first glance, no one is anywhere as badly off as John.

Jason runs over to his friend, slamming his knees down in the concrete right next to John's arm. "Hey. Hey! John, stay awake! Come on, talk to me. How are you feeling?"

"Ah, I'm fine, just have a little needle stuck in me, is all", John laughs at that, and then starts hacking out blood.

"Okay, come on, let's be careful, John. Just, try not to move much, save your energy. You're going to live through this, I know it!"

"Jason?"

"Yes?"

"You're not going to like this, but, no, I won't. I am dying, don't try to deny that, you'll just hurt yourself even more"; his eyes start tearing up as he tells Jason this.

"No! No, you can't die on me. You can't do this to me! Please, just fight. Fight to live. If not for you, do it for me!" Jason can't handle it anymore. He starts sobbing; can't breath.

Suddenly, something flies past them, and they hear a loud thud. As they look, which is difficult for John, they gasp.

It's the angel, and she's out cold.