Chapter XIX

Jason finds himself yet again in front of the red-brown door of his father's house, along with Marci and Carmen. He looks at the ornate entrance, then pulls on the knocker and let's it fall back to the door. Thump!

After a second, Daniel opens the door with a smile on his face, and greets his son, along with his friends. The man ruffles his sons hair. "Hey buddy!"

"Really Dad? Really?"

The party walks in and lounges on the couches in Daniel's living room. "Hey, any of my amazing guests want some fancy snacks? I've got processed cheese and Ritz crackers."

Carmen slowly raises his hand.

"Really Carmen? You literally just had a ton of granola bars!"

"So? What does that matter Jason?"

"You're fat."

"I'm just gonna turn on the TV before you two kill each other." Jason's dad turns the TV on to his favorite show: Swamp People. They watch the people catch and tag some alligators. "You know, this makes me want some catfish nuggets. Wanna help Jason?

"Sure. Sounds fun."

Father and son end up in a small "conveyer belt". Jason batters the chunks of catfish meat, then hands them to his dad, who puts them in the deep fryer to cook.

While they're cooking, Daniel and his son overhear an exchange between Marci and Carmen. "No! Don't play with that!"

Poof!

"Carmen, you are an idiot."

Daniel makes some mashed potatoes while Jason fixes some salad and puts everything on the counter. "Come fix your plates!"

The group eats dinner in the living room while watching TV. Jason thinks about how odd it is to see his dad after so long. It's great, no, amazing.

After they eat some ice cream, everyone goes to bed. Marci takes one guest room, and Carmen and Jason take the other, which has two beds.

Carmen and Jason stay up for a while just talking and watching funny videos. Then, Carmen asks, "how do you think Justine is doing?"

"Oh crap, I don't know. I hope she's doing good."

"Well, she has to be. Maybe she knows were still alive. You know, I really love her."

"I do too, Carmen. I do too. Let's get to sleep."

The two teens get in their beds, and after a few seconds, Carmen is snoring.

Jason lays awake for a long while. I don't know what I'd do if she wasn't okay. I should stop thinking for now.

He shuts his eyes, rolls over, and falls asleep.