[Chapter 12] (PART TWO) The Break Up

-Shane's POV-

I was sitting on the couch with Rachael. We sat at different ends, sitting the farthest away from each other. She was working on a new idea for a video and I was watching some stupid show on TLC.

Things for us for the past few days...they haven't been...the same. Between Rachael and I, there weren't any more "I love you"s. There wasn't anymore laughter or joking around. There wasn't any type of affection towards each other. Things had just kind of stopped between us. But neither of us really said or did anything about it.

Until I idiotically decided to blurt out during a commercial break, "Do you still love me?"

She stopped writing, looked up from her papers, and glanced over at me, "Do I still love you?"

"Yes," I answered, moving closer to her on the couch, "Do you love me?"

She set down her papers and pen and gulped, "Shane, I..."

"Just tell me, Rachael," I begged, "That's all I want. Yes or no."

She crossed her arms over her chest and sighed, "To be honest, no." I frowned, and so did she, "Things just...Shane, there's a reason why we broke up before. And I hate to say, but it's the same reason thing are the way they are right now," I looked away from her and heaved a sigh, "I'm sorry," She apologized.

"No, I'm the one who's sorry," I retorted. I watched a tear rolled down her cheek, "We're great as friends though, right?"

She nodded her head, "Yeah...friends..." She slowly got up to her feet and left the apartment, quietly closing the door behind her.

I shook my head and tried my best to keep cool. Just then, Ian walked out of the bedroom hallway. He saw me and stopped in his tracks, "Hey, is everything okay?"

I shook my head no.

He made his way over to me and plopped down beside me, "What happened?"

I swallowed hard and disclosed to him, "Rachael and I just broke up."

He remained silent for a few minutes before telling me, "I'm sure it's just a big misunderstanding!" Ian tried to convince me, "You two are like...meant to be. I'm sure this is just a small bump in the road."

I shook my head, "Not this time, Ian."

"Are you sure, Shane?"

I nodded my head yes. "And you know what? I'm not sad about this, Ian," I retorted, glancing over at him, "I'm kind of happy about it."

"Happy about it?" He repeated in disbelief.

"Yeah...I'm actually really happy about this. I can finally move on. This is a good thing."

He sighed and kind of just sat there, saying nothing after that.

-Ian's POV-

Rachael and Shane, in my eyes, were soulmates. They both were lost until they found each other. I still didn't understand why they broke up...twice. It perplexed me. It truly perplexed me.

A few days had past and tension filled the small apartment. Shane had gone out for a video shoot and Natalie and Anthony had gone grocery shopping. Rachael and I were the only ones in the house.

I walked up to her opened bedroom door and knocked. She was sitting at her desk when she looked over her shoulder at me and smirked, "Hey, Ian."

"We need to talk," I told her as I invited myself in and sat down on her bed. "Shane told me what happened between you guys."

"Oh really?" She retorted softly.

"Yeah," I answered, "He's taking it pretty hard. I imagine you are too." She gave me a blank stare. I took in a deep breath and said, "Hey, umm...as one of Shane's best friends, I think what would be best, Rachael, is if...maybe you moved out."

She averted her gaze away from me, "I know. I already am."

My eyes widened. "Did you just say that you're already moving out?"

She nodded her head, "It's not just Shane who thinks me leaving would be the best. I do too. And anyways, I think I need a break from this....this YouTube life I've been living. I mean, I love you guys with all my heart, but...it's time I take a break and focus on more important things. Like school."

"Are you telling me you're going to college?"

She stood up and picked up the boxes she already had packed up that were sitting in the corner. I hadn't realized it when I first walked in, but all of the clothes in her closet were gone. The sheets on her bed were gone. And the only thing she left was the picture of the five of us when a couple of years back on her desk. "Yeah. And I don't know if I'll be able to tell everyone, Ian, so...do you think you could do it for me?"

I rose to my feet, "Rachael, I..."

"Please," She begged, a morose expression on her face, "I honestly don't think I'd be able to tell them this. Just...please, Ian?"

I sighed, "I suppose..."

She set down her boxes and pulled me into a tight hug, "I'm going to miss you all so much."

I hugged her back, "We'll miss you too."

She pulled out of the embrace and bent down to pick up her boxes. She heaved a sigh, gave me one last look, and walked past me. I watched as she walked through the front door, leaving her apartment key on the kitchen counter. I crossed my arms over my chest and frowned. I didn't know that Shane and Rachael's break up was going to be so hard. And it got even harder when Anthony and Natalie returned to the apartment and asked where Rachael was to help put things away.