Chapter Thirteen: The Arena

Chapter Thirteen

The Arena

There's only sixty seconds until the fighting starts. The bloodbath is where most unskilled tributes die. The cornucopia is only a few feet away. I'm fast and I'll make it there in no time. I'll be able to grab my knifes fast and start taking people down. I really don't want to kill these people but I have no other choice. It's kill or be killed.

I know Cato is going to go straight for the swords then Katniss. He told me this last night as we were talking. Katniss is his kill, no matter what. I understand that. I don't think I could kill her anyway. Her little sister is watching right now. I couldn't put her through the pain and suffering of losing her sister. I just can't do that.

Sixty seconds is up and I take off running. I reach the knifes and start pulling them out of the pack. I turn around and see a tribute running at me. I throw a knife and hit him right the heart.

The next thing happens so fast. Katniss runs pass me and I start chasing her. A boy tribute starts fighting her over a bag full of supplies. I throw a knife and it hits him in the back. He falls to the ground and Katniss looks at me scared. She takes off running towards the woods and I throw the knife. The bag goes in front of her face before my knife hits it.

Shit.

I missed! I never miss!

What is wrong with me?

I make my way back to the rest of my allies, careful not to step on the dead tributes. They're all grabbing the supplies and stuffing them in bigger bags. When Cato sees me, his face lightens up a little.

"There you are! I thought you got killed!"

"No, I'm fine. I almost caught the girl from 12. She barely got away."

"We'll find her soon enough. Help us gather stuff."

I nod and start grabbing everything useful and putting it into a bag. Soon, everything useful is in our bags and we are making our way into the woods.

We walks a few miles then stop. Cato sits down and starts going through his bag. The others follow his lead. It's weird how they follow his exact orders. I know he is the leader but it's not something you see every day. I sit down and start sorting through my bag.

"So, who kills the girl from 12," asks Glimmer breaking the silence.

"Me," states Cato.

"How are we even going to find her? She could be anywhere." says Marvel.

There's rustling in the bushes and we all turn our attention to it. We stand up, slowly. Peeta steps out and I roll my eyes. What is he thinking? Is he wanting to die? He better have a good reason for this.

"You have 10 seconds to give me a reason not to kill you."

The voice Cato uses scares me a little. I've never heard him sound so heartless.

"I know where she is!"

"Where who is?"

"Katniss, my district partner. I know which way she went!"

"How am I suppose to trust you?"

"Just please believe me. I was watching her plus she told me her whole plan last night."

"You better not be lying to me or I'll kill you!"

"I'm not lying! I promise!"

Cato sits back down and pulls a knife out of his bag. He throw it to Peeta. He catches it and smiles a little.

"Welcome to the career pack. This must be a first."

"Yeah, because district 12 tributes usually die in the blood bath," says Glimmer in disgust.

I have to grit my teeth to not say anything. Who asked for her opinion? She just needs to keep her mouth shut and she'll be fine. I can tell Cato doesn't like her either. I know no one else is happy about Peeta joining us but I am. He's a nice guy and as long as he's with is he'll stay alive. Unless he's lying about the whole 'I know here she is' thing. Then Cato will kill him as fast as he let him in the group.

Cato stands up and grabs his bag. He starts walking and everyone starts following. I sigh and start walking in the back. Peeta is behind me.

Cato stops and turns around. He looks at Peeta then at me. He rolls his eyes and says," Stay in front of Clove, lover boy. Clove,make sure he doesn't try anything."

"Yes, sir."

Peeta gets in front of me and Cato stares at me for a few minutes before continuing walking.

I'm not sure if I like this new Cato. It's only been almost hour in the arena and I can tell that he's changing. I hope it's just my imagination.