Chapter Four: Say It Again

Chapter Four

Say It Again

Training went by slow but it's finally over. Cato acted like the kiss never happened so I did too. There's no point in bringing up something that doesn't matter. But if it didn't matter, why did he do it? There has to be reason, right? I should just ask him but I don't want to make things awkward plus he's already walking the other way.

I sigh and jog the rest of the way home. I get there in record time and go inside. I usually hate coming home but today I'm so tired and confused that I don't even care. On my way to my room, I notice that my dad is sitting in the living room. That's strange, he's never home this early. I try my best not to make a sound as I pass by but of course he notices me.

"Clove? Is that you?"

"Yes."

"Come in here. We need to talk."

This is never good. Usually when he says 'we need to talk", he really means 'come here so I can complain about how much is wrong with you'.

I sit down on the chair across from him and wait for the complaining to begin. He scratches the back of his neck then let's out a sigh.

"Did they choose the volunteer today?"

I don't even know if they did. I was so caught up in my thoughts today that I didn't pay attention. No one was bragging about being picked so my best guess is no.

"I don't think so."

"It will be tomorrow then. You make sure to come straight home and tell me. Okay?"

"Okay, I will."

"Good. Now, go to your room."

I nod and get up. I walk quickly to my room and lay on my bed. I'm not suppose to even think about sleeping at this hour of the day. But I'm so tired that I don't even try to make my eyes stay open as I drift off.

I hear a noise, like something is hitting my window. I slowly open my eyes and get out of bed. I walk over to my window and look out. There's nothing there. Hmm, that's odd. I guess I was just hearing things.

I walk back to my bed and lay down. As soon as I start to drift off, I hear the noise again. I groan and walk back to my window. I look down and see Cato. Wait, why is Cato outside of my house?It's probably midnight or later. I open my window and feel the warm summer air.

"What are you doing here," I whisper loud enough for him to hear.

"Come down here!" he yells.

I really hope that didn't wake my father up. I close the window and quickly change out of my training outfit into a baggy shirt and shorts. I walk out of my room and out of the house. I slowly close the front door and turn around. Cato to standing at the end of my walkway, waiting. He motions for me to come on and I jog towards him.

"Now, can you tell me what you're doing here?"

"I just wanted to talk."

"About what?"

"I can't tell you hear. Follow me."

He starts walking towards the woods and I follow him. After checking for peacekeepers, we walk into the woods. We walk for what seems forever before he stops.

He turns so that he is looking at me. He stares for what seems forever before sighing. He runs a hand through his hair and looks up. He looks back down at me then leans down so that we are face to face. He grabs my face and just stares into my eyes. Even though it's dark, I can still tell that his eyes are baby blue. They're still just as beautiful as they were when he was 13 and I was 12.

After what seems a lifetime, he kisses me. I don't even hesitate before kissing him back. I feel him smile then he pulls away.

Still looking into my eyes he says," I love you. I always have from the moment I spoke to you. Hell, I think I fell in love with you the very second I saw you. You were standing there in the big circle, looking lost and confused. Your black hair was in two ponytails and you were wearing that ugly red outfit but you looked so beautiful. You still are beautiful. I love you so much, Clover."

I don't know how to respond to that so I just kiss him again. He smiles before kissing back.

I finally break the kiss and say," Say it again."

"What?"

"Say it again, Cato. Please..."

"I love you," he kisses me once more then says," I love you so damn much."

"I love you too."