Chapter Fourteen: Lover Boy

Chapter Fourteen

Lover Boy

Just as the sun is going down, we stop for the night. We've been looking for tributes for hours now with no luck. I wanted to suggest that we've killed enough tributes already in the bloodbath but that I would have made me look weak. So I just kept my mouth shut and made sure Peeta didn't try to run away or kill any of us.

I sit down with my back against a tree and watch everyone else. Cato is looking for something to give us to eat. Glimmer is glaring at Peeta. Marvel is helping Cato and Peeta is looking down at the ground, doing something with his knife. I'm pretty sure he's drawing.

I lean my head back and close my eyes. I'm so tired. This is the most walking I've done in while. The most I walked back home was to and from the training center, to school, and from station to station at the training center. It wasn't much. I didn't even run much but I'm still fast. My legs are going to be really sore tomorrow.

Just as I'm about to drift off, something hits my face. My fly open and my hand goes to my face. I lean up and rub the spot that was hit.

"Sorry, that wasn't suppose to hit your face," says Glimmer as she giggles.

I glare at her and open my mouth to say something when Cato stops me.

"Eat then you can go to sleep, Clove. It's been a long day. I'll take first watch."

I grab the bag of dried fruit off the ground and open them. I start eating and finish way before I'm full. Everyone but Cato finds a spot on the ground to sleep. I put my pack of knifes in my jacket then try to get comfortable on the hard ground.

I don't know how many hours, minutes, or even seconds it's been but I'm being shook awake. I groan and sit up. It's still dark out so it must be my turn to watch.

"Come on, there's a fire near by!" I hear Marvel basically yell in my ear.

So I'm being woke up to go kill someone? Oh joy, this is going to be so much. I roll my eyes and start running after him and the rest of our allies. I run into Cato and almost fall to the ground.

The person we came to kill is a girl. I don't know what district she's from but she's asleep. She's so stupid. Why would you make a fire then fall asleep? She's just asking to be killed.

Cato kicks her and she grunts. I see her eyes open then widen when she realizes what's going on. She starts begging Cato not to kill her. He lifts his sword and stabs her right in the stomach. She grabs the wound and falls over. Cato looks back at us and smiles. He walks back towards us then we all start walking back to camp.

A few minutes later, Glimmer says," Shouldn't we have heard a cannon by now?"

"Yeah unless she's not dead."

"Glimmer, Marvel shut up. I know where I stabbed her. She's dead."

They start arguing over if they should go back and see if she's dead or not. I look over at Peeta, he looks annoyed.

"I'll go see if she's dead or not. We're wasting time," says Peeta.

"How do you plan on doing that, lover boy?" asks Glimmer.

He holds up the knife Cato gave him before walking back in the direction we just came from. He showed her.

"Why don't we just kill him?"

"Because he knows where she is and he hasn't done anything but help us so far."

She doesn't say another word because Peeta reappears.

"Was she dead," asks Cato.

"No, but she is now."

As he says the last word, a cannon goes off. Cato smiles at him before continuing back to camp.

I thought Peeta was this innocent boy who wouldn't hurt a fly. I thought he just wanted to protect Katniss like I want to protect Cato. Maybe he's acting like he doesn't care about her but why would he after he confessed his love for her? I can't think of any reason why he would want to lead us to her. Unless he's doing the opposite of that. Maybe he's tricking us. Maybe he's leading us away from Katniss. Maybe he doesn't know where she is and just wants to stay alive a little longer.

If that's his plan then I have to admit that he's a good liar. I have a feeling this whole 'I don't really love her' act is a lie but I'm not going to say anything. I would do the same thing if I was in his shoes.