Alternate Ending for Thomas

• Dedicated to Shadi Reisinger

  Thomas sat on top of the roof, one leg outstreched and the other brought up close to him with an arm draped over it. It was night time, the sky was littered with what few stars dared to show in such a bright town. He often found himself wondering why he had stayed for so long. His mother and father never came home from work anymore. It was as if him and Josh didn't exsist anymore. The thought made him chuckle darkly.

  "My last night..." He thought aloud to himself as he stared out across the field behind their house, glad for the tall building that they lived in. He had always thought it was funny how one side of the house was lit up by traffic lights and the sounds of a busy street while the other was as dark and quiet as the country side. "No goodbyes, no regrets."

  He stood up, slowly and wobbley, and made his way closer to the edge. His toes hovering over the edge in the air. Once again he looked out across the dark exspanse, desiring to know if there was more to life. ~Just one step.~ And that's all it took. He stepped forward once and fell over the edge, arms thrown out behind him. For a few fleeting moments he knew what it was like to be free. To let go of all that was weighing him down and just feel the night air blasting against his face.

  He hit the hard pavement that lined the house, dying instantly from the contact.

  Josh and Katelynn ran outside from the slapping sound his fall had made. Like a thump that just didn't sit right with them until they had found out what had made the noise.

  "No." Her voice was small and strangled as Josh came up behind her. "He-he." She made a chocked noise and dove for the dead boy's body, needing to feel if it was still warm. Still alive even though she knew the truth.

  "Katelynn!" He shouted in her ear, breaking through her jumbled thoughts. "Go inside and call 911. Now!"

  Josh looked down at his twin, taking in the small smile on Thomas' face. A type of smile that looked so happy, like his brother had finally found the peace that he had been searching for. ~Damn lucky bastard...~ He thought, wishing he had also been able to find that place.