Chapter 7 - Jake and Libby

Matt was totally caught off guard when his son, Peyton called him up, asking him to help him and his new girlfriend, Carrie, practice dancing for the prom. Peyton had explained that he HAD to keep up the "uncle" facade in front of Carrie, as to not freak her out, and think that Peyton had lied to her.

"And what does your mother think of all this?" Matt had asked.

"She said no at first, but she's um... fine now." Peyton had looked behind him at his mother's blank face.

"Well, alright then. You just... give me the place then."

Matt looked up. Stephanie's new house was nice, albeit small. A cute little one-floor house amongst various others in the suburbs. Matt knocked at the door, which Stephanie opened. "Matthew." She said, her face totally blank.

"Ah! Steph! How are you?" He asked. Stephanie's face remained blank as she stood to the side, allowing Matt to step inside. Peyton was just behind the door. "Hey, kiddo." He said awkwardly. He hadn't seen the boy for years, he didn't know what to call him. He figured that "Kiddo" was something an uncle would say, so he tried that, but it still felt odd.

"Hey uh, Dad." Peyton was just as confused. "Carrie's not here yet. Why don't you sit down in the kitchen?" He offered. Matt nodded and followed his son into the kitchen. Peyton sat across from him, while Stephanie poured them all a glass of orange juice from the fridge, then sat down at the end of the table.

"So how are you?"  Peyton asked.

"Um, fine. Well, other than the fact that my place of work burned down, and I got arrested for threatening an employee." Matt and Peyton laughed.

"You know, I missed you." Peyton said with a smile.

"You did?"

"Well, you are my dad. You just suddenly disappeared out of my life when I was seven. I always missed you." Peyton's smile faded a little. "I mean, after the whole uh, Freddy thing with Jake."

"Yeah. That. Well, now both my kids-" Matt slapped a hand over his mouth.

"Both your kids what?" Peyton asked.

"N-nothing." Matt looked at his hands. They were clenched up, but he couldn't tell if it was from fear or anger.

"Both your kids are delinquents now? Has Libby gone nuts too?" Peyton asked. "I mean, I know I'm a little unorthodox, but that doesn't mean I don't realize what I am." Matt tightened his lips. "Speaking of which... I always wanted to tell you how sorry I am. I... can't believe I did that. I wish to this day that I hadn't. I'm sure you miss Jake just as much as I do." A tear fell from Matt's eye.

"D-dad? What's wrong? Is Libby okay?" Peyton asked, a small smile, twisted slightly by nervousness, on his face.

That's when Stephanie clued in. She looked over at Matt, and they locked eyes. Matt could read her mind. She knew what happened to Libby, in her heart. Matt nodded yes. Stephanie let out a small gasp.

"Mom? What's wrong? What happened to-" Stephanie grabbed Peyton's hand.

"Peyton, sweetie, Libby's... dead." Peyton's eyes went wide. "H-how did it happen?" Stephanie asked, holding back tears.

"Car accident." Matt lied. "She was carpooling with a friend's mom, and... well, she was the only casualty. It happened soon after you left."

"Why didn't you call me? Or tell me when we met the other day?"

"I was in denial. And by the time that I finally moved on with my life, you were the farthest thing from my mind. And I try not to dwell on it in the meantime, so it somehow didn't cross my mind." Matt explained.

Stephanie was skeptical, but she couldn't think about that. Her daughter was dead. How would-

The doorbell rang. Carrie had arrived.