Chapter 12 - He's Late

Stephanie paced around the room, biting her nails.

"I'm sure he's alright, it's okay. You told me he stays out late a lot, right?" Matt said, placing his hands on her shoulders.

Stephanie turned around. "At worst, he stays out till 11:00. It's 2:30. He's dead. He's lying dead in a gutter, and he's dead." She said, a terrified look on her face.

"Hey, hey, it's going to be fine. You've called Peyton's cell, you've called Carrie, you've called Carrie's mom, resulting in a very awkward conversation, and you called Peyton's friend that they were going to see... where else could he be?" Matt asked, placing his hands on her shoulders to stop her from pacing.

"I don't know, I called everywhere... I have no clue where he could be!" She was on the verge of tears. She attempted not to blink, knowing that if she did, the tears that were welling up in her eyes would fall out. But her eyes were hurting, and she did let the tears fall. She looked up at Matt. "I've lost Jake, I've lost Libby, I don't want to loose Peyton too!" She cried. "I don't want to loose all my children! Without Peyton, I am completely alone here!" She was screaming at this rate.

Matt wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. "It's alright. It's alright. You won't loose him. Listen to me." He pulled Stephanie's head up to look him in the eye. "He will be annoying you for years to come, okay? He's only a teenager. He'll do plenty more stupid things. And even when he's not there for you, then-" Matt took a deep breath. "Then I will be." He waited for Stephanie's response. It was kind of cheap, playing at her emotions when she was like this, but it was his best chance. Instead, she just buried her head in his chest and cried.

"Thank you. Thank you, Matthew." She cried. 

"I'll take a drive around and see if I can find him, okay? He can't have gone too far, right?" He smiled. Stephanie wiped away her tears and nodded.

"Sure. I'll hold down the fort." She separated from him, looking out the window.

"I'll see you in a bit." Matt went downstairs and grabbed his coat and boots. As soon as he stepped out the door, he held his hand out. There was a light dusting of sow on the ground, and it was still lightly snowing. He smiled, looking up at the darkened sky. Under the clouds, the sunset was almost invisible, but he saw this as the most beautiful weather he had seen in a long time. It's a wonder what a good mood can do to you.

Matt got into his car and drove off, unaware of the young girl hiding in the bushes. She lowered her binoculars, as she watched Matt drive down the street. She knelt down in the bush, placing her phone on speakerphone. "He's gone. Tell him to make the call." She whispered into the phone.

Carrie, on the other end of the phone, smiled. "Good, but now's not a good time. He'll make the call when the plane lands. In the meantime, keep an eye on Stephanie."

"Got it." The girl looked through her binoculars. "She's in the window. I think she's crying."

Peyton rubbed the back of his neck. "I feel so bad... but if this is the best we can do..."

"It is. If we can pull this off, we'll save her, and bring your dad to justice." Carrie explained.

"Although seriously, your connections are crazy." Peyton said. "I never excepted you to be this smart-" Peyton slapped a hand over his mouth, afraid of offending her.

"It's fine. I guess it means the act worked, right? Besides, even if it WAS overplayed, that's still my basic personality." She smiled and turned back to the phone. "Keep an eye on her. We have to make sure she'll be okay."

"Alright. Call me when you guys hit ground." The girl said.

"Perfect. Thanks, Liv." Carrie said with a smile. Then she hung up.

"So, which family member is this guy again?" Peyton asked.

"He's not a family member. Let's say he's... a friend."