Chapter 11.

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

"Already?" I groan, slamming my hand down on the screaming alarm clock.

I slowly open my eyes to peer over at the bright red numbers. 6:00. It feels a lot earlier than that. I feel like I've only been asleep for a few minutes, not a few hours. I wish that I could take a few more minutes to sleep but I have early morning meetings with management and Gracie will be up soon. There's no more time for extra sleep.

I rip the sheets away from my body and arise in bed. The room is still dark and quiet. The outside world must still be asleep because not a single noise comes from the street not far away from the window. I move my legs to the side of the bed and get up, stretching my arms up to the ceiling. My body feels incredibly sore for someone who hasn't had any exercise lately. Maybe I just slept the wrong way.

I sleepily make my way into the bathroom and lean my body over the bathroom sink for a few seconds. I take a deep breath and then stare at myself in the mirror. I look like a wreck. I quickly shake my head and grab my toothbrush and toothpaste. After brushing my teeth, I strip off my boxer shorts and step into a hot shower.

The hot water immediately releases some of the tension and pain that's radiating through my back and shoulders. As I roll my neck I rub the back of my neck, attempting to get the knots that fill the space. I should probably invest in a new pillow. That might help even a little bit.

After a few minutes in the hot shower, I step out and grab some fresh clothes from the pile of folded laundry that Lucy gave me last night. Lucy has really been a Godsend the last few months. She's helped me with literally everything. She helps with Gracie, keeping up the house and maintaining my sanity. I would be lost without her, honestly.

I slip on a black t-shirt and a pair of new jeans. Right after zipping my jeans I hear the muffled cries coming from Gracie's room across the way. It's officially the start of a new day. I quickly grab my wallet and cell phone before heading into Gracie's room.

"Good morning miss Gracie..." I whisper, walking over to her crib.

Only cries escape her.

"Oh, I know..." I groan, lifting her from her crib and placing her against my warm chest.

As soon as she's in my arms she stops crying and frantically looks around the room. She must be searching for a bottle, something that I currently don't have. Anyways, before she even has a bottle I need to get her dressed and ready for the day. I'm not sure how long I'll spend at the office so I want to spend as much time with her as I possibly can right now.

"What do you feel like wearing today Gracie?" I ask as I search through her dresser drawers.

I rummage through an abundance of small t-shirts and leggings, all in a variety of colors. Mostly in pinks and purples. The typical girl colors. Charlie and Lucy bought all of these. I had no say in the matter. If it was up to me, Gracie would be dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, much like her father. Although, I'm not sure that would go over too well with her aunts or grandmothers.

"How about this bodysuit with these leggings?" I ask as I pull out a white bodysuit with pink rabbits on it with pink leggings.

Gracie just stares up at my face, inspecting every part of it.

"Is that a yes?" I ask with a short laugh.

A small smile spreads across Gracie's face as she buries her face back into my chest.

"That's a yes..." I laugh, taking the clothes and shutting the drawers to the dresser.

I gently set Gracie on her changing table and grab a new diaper and wipes. I remove her pajamas and clean her up before putting her in her new outfit for the day. Normally she gets upset when I take off her pajamas and begin getting her in new clothes but surprisingly, she doesn't seem to mind today. Instead, she just stares up at the ceiling making a bunch of unclear baby noises.