Chapter 14. Anything for Ming

"Is there really a difference. They look the same to me." I peer at the two drumsticks in front of me.

"This one is slicker, easier to grip and prevents slip-off. The other is slightly bigger but more durable, for heavy use."

I sigh in confusion. What he just said isn't helping at all.

"Need help, noona?" A familiar manly yet sweet voice calls from my back.

"Thank God for your existence, Sirius!" I exclaim like a hallelujah.

He laughs then gets from a completely different rack.

"Why is there a black lining on this one? Something special about it again, like it can twirl on its own on my brother's hands?" I ask as he hands me the drumsticks.

He laughs. "Nothing special. He just likes that best."

"You know him well more than I do."

"Just in the musical aspect." He chuckles.

"Kindly box it, for a gift." I request as I pay. "I'll go ahead." I smile thankfully at Sirius as I got my item and walk out of the store.

"Noona! I hear Sirius call as he tries to catch up to me.

"What? I thought you were busy window shopping. Are their guitars that ugly?" I laugh.

He scratches his head. "Well, I just kind of missed you. So I want to talk to you about what's happening to you lately."

"You mean, you missed 'her'. I emphasize my last word then walk with him to a nearby bench. "She's in Sweden." I get my cellphone and show him pictures of her. "She's extremely happy and can't stop talking about this certain fan who gave her a funny-looking stuffed toy."

"I can see that. She's happy, especially with him." He smiles bitterly as he finishes browsing the pictures. "So when will I see you shopping for another man besides your brother?" He laughs teasingly.

"How about you?" When will I see you playing your guitar for another woman besides her?" I shot back with mockery.

"Well, I just did. This morning, for my dear mother." He grins.

I snicker. "Then I did too. For Ming's future father-in-law."

He laughs. "You seriously need a boyfriend, noona."

"If he is the heir of a big company, why not?" I smile impishly.

"I mean someone who will be there with you. Someone who will make you smile when Dominic is not around anymore to do that for you."

I feel my heart sink as I understand where this conversation was headed. "I know Ming asked you to convince me to go find Mr. Right. But even if I find him, what's the point? I'm never going to be Mrs. Right for him anyway. I'd rather be alone than be a burden to someone else."

"Let's just find a rich CEO, noona. They don't need love, they just need a beautiful, brainy and strong-willed woman like you." He taps my shoulder before tears form at the corner of my eyes.

"You punk." I punch him lightly. "Go find me a young and handsome one then."

*****

"Noona!" Ming comes rushing towards me in front of his school gate.

He's always been like that, like a kid running to his mom after school. Normally, guys his age wouldn't do that and act cool instead. They would even be ashamed if someone is treating them like a baby. But it was never like that for Ming, he actually enjoys it and even parades me to his university as his beautiful and kind sister. Which is not fully true. I maybe kind at times, but I was never beautiful.

I hit his head lightly. "Quit that!"

"What?"

"That!"

"Calling you noona? I can't." He makes a cross with his two hands.

"Acting foolishly like a kid. You're in your twenties, Ming." I raise an eyebrow.

"Who cares? I'll act whatever I want with my sister." He smiles cutely.

And with that, I lost. "Fine. Suit yourself."

"Noona." He starts worriedly and I already knew his problem.

"Before you say anything else. Here." I hand him my gift.

His face turns into a surprised one. "What for?"

"Just open it." I smile at him.

He excitedly opens it and immediately hugs me as he sees what was inside. "I love you, noona!"

"Yeah, me too. So please let me breathe." I try to break free from his over-appreciative crushing hug.

He quickly let's go and smiles apologetically.

"So what were you saying earlier?"

Instead if answering, he just looks at me, as if contemplating whether to talk or not.

"If it's about your tuition, I already settled it. I throw him a reassuring smile.

"Really? But how?" His face reflects intrigue.

"I stole money from a very drunk man." I say honestly.

He laughs crazily. "He must be really rich! How much?"

I fake a laugh. Here, I was confessing to my brother to somehow lessen the heavy guilt in my conscience, but he just took it as a joke. Well, who would take it seriously anyway?

"Five thousand dollars." I admit.

"Let's just hope he doesn't gets you jailed." He chuckles.

"What if he does?" I look him in the eye.

"I will beg and pay for it. If he still wants you jailed, then I'll just join you there." He smiles cutely at me.

"You're crazy." I laugh. "Come, let's buy you new clothes. You girlfriend must be sick of your repetitive outfit."

*****

A burgundy sweater catches my attention as we enter the shop.

"Noona, winter just passed. Why are you buying me this?"

"Because it's branded and on sale! 70 percent off." I point at its red tag price.

He laughs as he takes it. "Okay. Your turn now. Dress, heels and make-up."

"And where will I wear that, at the diner?" I laugh at the irony.

"On your date." He smiles at me hopefully.

"I don't have a boyfriend, Ming. And never will I have one. I'll just buy jeans and sneakers. They're way much cheaper and comfortable." I end the conversation before I get angry at his stubborn idea.