Chapter 9. Memoirs

If anyone would ask me what I hate the most, I would answer "rain" right away. Why? Because for some unknown reason just seeing it makes me cry. But for the first time in my life, I didn't cry because of it, I was laughing instead.

"What's so funny?" Dominic's strides which I'm having difficulty to keep up with finally comes to a stop.

"I suddenly remember the first time we met." I answer as I catch my breath. "Today's the same, it's raining." I twirl around with my arms spread out. "But today, I ran to the rain without thinking twice about getting soaked." I laugh again.

He laughs too. "That's because you love me."

"So much." I smile at him.

"I love you more than so much." He chuckles then takes my hand.

"So, where are we going now?" I ask cluelessly.

"Where do you want to go?" He squeezes my hand.

"Anywhere. Just as long as I'm with you." I hold to his hand tightly.

-

"Whose house is this?" I ask as we enter a small, old house.

"Our family's house." He walks to the cabinet and opens it.

I follow him and an array of clothes and family stuff welcomes my view. A small family picture catches my attention. "You don't look like your parents. Only your sister does." I joke.

"Really? It goes the other way around. They say noona looks adopted." He laughs, then hands me the sunflower-printed pajamas.

"So how did you end up at the orphanage?" I ask absentmindedly as I take it.

The delight on his eyes immediately turns melancholic. I try to take my question back but it was too late.

"Our parents got divorced then abandoned us." He answers with a bitter smile.

I hit my head at that stupid slip of tongue.

"It's okay. Go change now before you catch a cold." He chuckles then points to the bathroom.

I just nod in shame then oblige.

As soon as I step out of the bathroom, I see him spreading two mattresses on the floor.

"Sorry, we don't have actual beds. But this quilt will make you warm. My mother made it." He says proudly while unrolling it.

"I've experienced worse, when Adam and I went camping." I laugh at the memory as I help him fix our beds. "We actually slept under the tree because of his crazy idea to imitate a reality tv show."

He laughs loudly. "Hyung is really creative, he usually thinks out of the box."

"He's just weird." I point out.

He tries to suppress his yawn while chuckling. His cuteness strikes once again.

"Let's sleep." I pinch his cheek before lying down. "Wow! Your mom's quilt is really warm." I hug it and close my eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me about your family?" He asks as he lies beside me.

"I'm afraid to hurt your ego. Remember our first date? You went nuts with me paying the bill." I laugh.

He stays silent, so I think of a more convincing answer.

"Plus, I don't want you to treat me like a princess. Aside from my brother, you're the only one who sees me as a normal person. Everyone who knows me, my parents included, they all expect me to act according to my social status. You saw it earlier, I acted different in front of other people. It's hard to wear a mask." I sigh deeply. "I can only be my real self when I'm with you."