Chapter 8

Chapter 8

There were gasps from the other guardians surrounding us. Then I heard Eddie say "Thank god for that, it was becoming more and more difficult to keep the secret" and I had to laugh and I think I heard a small chuckle from Emil.

"Well seeing as Jesse saw us in our home tonight; the cat was kind of out of the bag anyway. There was no way we were going to keep him quiet" I replied.

"Husband and wife?" Alto seemed to still be stuck on this fact and I can't exactly describe the look on his face; the closest I can get is that it looked like he'd swallowed a hot pepper flavoured laxative. He was red and puffy in the face and he was ready to explode.

"Yes Stan, Roza and I are married. We have been for five weeks now. So you will do well to remember that when you next try to bully her in the classroom." The look of shock that registered on Stan's face at this statement was a picture I will remember for the rest of my life. I supressed the giggle that was trying to escape my lips but Eddie wasn't so successful. I heard a strangled choking noise that was muffled by a hand over a mouth.

In an attempt to diffuse the situation I spoke up, "Alberta, we have a couple of first aid boxes back at the house. Let's get some of these cuts cleaned up in our kitchen. It's closer than the infirmary or the Guardian's Lounge" indicating that the guardians and Eddie, the only other novice to be in the group, should follow.

As we reached the door, I held my hand up and grabbed for a stake. Seeing my movement Dimitri did the same and moved in front of me. He opened the door steadily and there sitting on one of our sofas as if it was the most natural thing in the world was a strigoi. He obviously wasn't very observant when it came to seeing that the place was inhabited. I suppose the fact that Dimitri was a neat freak made the house look less 'lived in' and more temporary accommodation for outside guests but this strigoi definitely chose the wrong house to take a rest in. Dimitri closed the gap between them quickly and before the strigoi could rise, a silver stake was thrust into his heart.

"You are getting that stain out, Comrade" I said and we both burst out laughing.

"Are we clear Roza?" Dimitri asked between gasps of humour.

"Yeah, we are all clear" I confirmed grinning at him.

I put my stakes away into their holder on my thigh as Dimitri pulled the body of the strigoi outside, to fry in the sunlight.

"Come in guys, find a place to sit or stand, just don't get blood on that calculus homework or I will be making you redo it for me." I said only half joking. There was a collective laugh from some of those entering the house.

I don't think our house had seen so many people. Ten cramped up into the living room and kitchen but we managed. I was surprised to see that Stan had actually joined us, probably frightened of missing something. I got the first aid boxes out and started handing them round, boiling water for cleaning cuts and grazes, and generally making sure everyone was alright.

I was passing by Emil when I heard him talking to Alberta. "I made a quick survey of the bodies and I counted thirty, thirty one if you include that one outside. Asking around it appears that we killed twelve of them, which means that Dimitri and Rose dispatched the other eighteen, well nineteen between them."

"Nineteen!" I choked out. "Are you serious?"

"Well the only one we know for sure was Dimitri's kill was your mystery house guest but we have no idea what the divide was on the other eighteen bodies out there. You may have to claim and even split of nine each" Emil said chortling with uncharacteristic humour.

"No I think they will be getting a zvezda each" said Alberta.

"What, the battle star?" a voice piped up; a newish guardian that I didn't really know from the lower school.

"In the event of unknown numbers in a large or frenzied battle, it's the only way to indicate a large number of kills, when ownership cannot be established" Alberta said sagely and I saw several of the guardians nodding.

"Let's take a look at you Milaya" Dimitri said interrupting my thoughts with another kiss to my forehead. "You need to sort your cuts too." He bathed the blood from my face to see a long scratch just under my eye. A few butterfly strips should take care of it. The side was a different matter. I removed my T-shirt slowly and sucked in a breath as Dimitri had to tug the last section away. "Sorry Milaya." Thankfully I still had a sports bra underneath so I wasn't flashing anyone. Dimitri boiled some more water and used my T-shirt to get the worst of the blood off me before using more sterile swabs the closer he got to the cut. It ran from the top of my hip to just below my left breast. Now that the adrenaline had worn off, I could feel the pain of it when I breathed. Dimitri was gentle, sometimes a little too gentle, which made me squirm.

"That tickles, Comrade."

"Sorry Roza. I'll try harder" he said giving me a salacious look. I couldn't believe he was making innuendos in front of his colleagues. Stan heard him as he walked by to put used swabs in the trash and he looked at Dimitri in shock. I just giggled despite the pain I was in. I think I'm the only one that has seen this side of Dimitri so him showing something different to his stoic guardian façade was quite an eye opener for some people.

"We are heading back to the Guardian's lounge. Will you two join us when you have finished?"

"Sure Alberta. Give us fifteen minutes" Dimitri replied as he threaded a needle for adding stitches to my wound and the house slowly emptied of people.

As Dimitri put the finishing touches to the bandaging on my side, a thought came to me. "We need to contact Yeva. We need to know if this is what she saw or whether there is more. Alberta is bound to ask us when we go up."

Dimitri grabbed the laptop and placed it on the kitchen counter where we stood bathing each other's wounds and initiated a Skype call to Baia. It was answered by a harried looking Yeva. "Roza, Dimka, you are ok. I knew you would be if you stuck together" she said with a knowing smile.

"Babushka, is it over now? The trouble you saw, is it over?" Dimitri asked hopefully.

"This trouble is over Dimka but gossip can also cause some battles. I doubt you were able to keep your marriage a secret tonight."

"As always Babushka, you know everything. Yes, people found out tonight that we are married. So are you saying we are going to be the centre of gossip for a while but the strigoi danger is over?" Dimitri stated tiredly.

"That's exactly what I'm saying Dimka."

"Gossip I can handle" I said with relief.

"I'm sure you can Roza, but be careful there are some determined people out there who would like nothing more than to ruin your happiness. I'm off to bed now you have called." With that, she disconnected the call. Dimitri and I just looked at each other and shook our heads and gave an affectionate laugh for the old woman.